State Employees and Teachers
GUIDELINES AT POLK STATE COLLEGE
FLORIDA STATE TUITION WAIVERS FOR STATE EMPLOYEES AND CLASSROOM TEACHERS
Welcome to Polk State College. There are a few limitations and regulations concerning the use of the tuition waiver program. Please read carefully. The instructions are very detailed to help you successfully use your waiver.
YOU ARE FINANCIALLY AND ACADEMICALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY COURSES THAT DO NOT QUALIFY FOR STATE TUITION WAIVER.
- Application to the college is made in the same way that any other student applies. Complete an online application. Take the PERT test if you are not exempt from it. Classroom teachers do not need to take the PERT. See an advisor if this is your first term or you are re-entering after a break that is longer than one year. Registration is available to you at any time. There is no longer a restriction on when you can register for classes.
- Register for any classes you intend to pay for along with classes that you intend to use the waiver for. Plan to pay by the deadline for courses not covered on the state waiver. Your deadline will display in your Passport account.
- Complete Waiver Request:
- State Employees – Complete the Tuition Waiver for State Employees which is also available through your employer.
- Classroom Teachers – Complete the Tuition Waiver for Public School Teachers. It must be accompanied with a letter on district or school letterhead stating that you are a full-time classroom teacher and the years of employment in that capacity.
- Return the waiver request and, if relevant, the accompanying employment verification letter in person at any campus or mail it to the Office of the Registrar, 999 Ave H NE, Winter Haven, FL 33881-4299. Fax copies are not accepted. Without this form you will not receive a tuition waiver. This form is due before a waiver can be applied and must be submitted by the drop deadline for the class to which the waiver applies.
- You may add classes for which the tuition waiver should be applied any time within the term’s open registration.
- You may not be added to a full class using an override even with faculty permission. You can do so if you pay for that class.
- On the day before the tuition and fees due date, the state tuition waiver will be applied to qualifying classes up to (6) credit hours.
- You must pay for all other classes. Please note that payment is due for classes you are paying for on or before the posted due date in PASSPORT. To avoid losing your tuition waiver classes, be prepared to pay for other courses at the time you register.
- Non-qualifying classes are:
- Non-credit courses
- Community education and Corporate College courses
- Courses in limited admission programs (AS degrees such as Nursing, Allied Health)
- Third (or more) attempt of a course
- Certain courses with additional high fees such as pilot course
- For assistance, call the Student Information Center at 863.297.1000.