1. What is the function of the Career Services office?

    The Career Services Office helps prepare students for their careers and matches them with employers seeking talent. Some of the services provided are:

    • Career assessments to help students select a career
    • Online job board through Handshake
    • Resume and cover letter help
    • Job shadowing
    • Networking opportunities
    • Practice interview sessions
    • Personalized career advising


  2. Can I talk to someone one-on-one about my career?

    Yes! Please email careerservices@polk.edu to request an appointment, and one of our staff members will be happy to assist you.

  3. Where are the Career Services offices located?

    Great question! Career Services advisors are located in Student Services on both the Lakeland Campus (Learning Technology Building – LTB) and Winter Haven Campus (Administration Building – WAD). Please contact careerservices@polk.edu for more information or stop by the Information Desk at any of our campuses or centers and a member of our staff will be happy to assist you.

  4. How do I apply?

    See the Admission Steps.

  5. Can I get copies of institutional research reports?

    Hard copies and/or computer files of most reports can be furnished upon request. However, since most reports are available online in PDF format, we encourage you to use this feature.

  6. What is the lottery?

    Random numbers assigned to students who desire to attend Lakeland Collegiate High School.

  7. How do I register for one of the TALON Robotics programs at Polk State College?


    • Register for the middle school and high school programs online: Click here
    • Register for the mentor program: Click here
  8. When will registration be available for the Summer 2015 Program?

    Registration is Now Open!

    Click Here to Begin Registration

  9. Is food provided?

    Yes, students receive both a snack and lunch; students with special food needs should provide their own food.

  10. Is transportation provided?

    Daily transportation is NOT provided; however, field trip bussing is included in the registration fee.

  11. What are the program hours?

    Students Can be Dropped Off starting at 8:00 a.m.

    Class Instruction Starts at 9:00 a.m. and Ends at 4:00 p.m.

    Students Must be Picked Up no later than 5:00 p.m. daily.

    ** For the Safety of your Student(s) – NO Exceptions Please **


  12. Where is the program located?

    • Polk State College, Lakeland campus
    • Polk State College, Winter Haven campus
  13. What are the qualification requirements for the program?


    • Eaglebot – The middle school program has no qualification requirements.
    • Technobot – The high school program has no qualification requirements.
    • Mentors must be entering 11th or 12th grade, must be available 6/8 through 6/24, exhibit exemplary behavior and academic capabilities.  A recommendation from two (2) Polk County Public School teachers will be required at time of application.  Credit towards service hours applies.
    • Digital Media students are selected by the program instructors.
  14. What are the field trip locations and dates?

    This information will be updated soon for the Summer 2015 Program.

  15. What are the program fees?

    The program costs $395, which includes a $35 non-refundable registration fee and $360 program fee. Mentors and Digital Media student programs do not have a cost.

  16. Can I get a refund if I drop from the program?

    If, after registering, your child is unable to attend TALON, an e-mail request for a refund must be submitted to talon@polk.edu. Refund requests received 14 or more days prior to the first day of class will receive an 80% refund. Refund requests received seven or more days prior to the first day of class will receive a 50% refund. No refunds will be issued for requests received less than seven days prior to the first day of class. The $35 registration fee is non-refundable.

  17. How will I know if my mentor application is approved?


    • You will receive a series of e-mail notifications informing you of the application status.
    • Upon approval or denial of the application, you will receive an e-mail with instructions on how to continue. If approved, a link will be provided for you to return to the registration system to complete the registration process.
    • Click here for more information on becoming a Mentor
    • Click here to apply
  18. How does the digital media program work?

    The digital media program registration is only open to those students with previous digital medial skills and approved by the two (2) instructors.

  19. Who are the mentors and how do they qualify?

    Mentors are students entering 11th or 12th grade who are exemplar role model students that work collaboratively with the middle school students.  Click Here for More Info

  20. How do I become a mentor?


    • Apply online by Clicking here
    • You will receive an e-mail with notification of your application approval
  21. What are the mentor qualifications?

    Excellent students, leaders, strong math/science skills, preferred robotic or previous program experience, site administrator interview and recommendation required.  Click here for more information.

  22. Can I earn volunteer hours as a mentor?



  23. Does it cost anything to be a mentor?


  24. What does the program cost?

    • Eaglebots and Technobots – there is a $35.00 non-refundable registration fee and a $360.00 program fee
    • Digital Media – no fee
    • Mentors – no fee
  25. Who are the instructors?

    Click here for staff bios

  26. What is the teacher/student ratio?

    15:1 or less (students:faculty)

  27. Are there any special drop-off and pick-up times on field trip days?

    The drop-off and pick-up times remain the same. You will be notified by the site administrators of any changes due to a field trip.

  28. What goes on during the competition on June 23?

    All of the students will come together for a series of competitions. This event allows the students to demonstrate their learning outcomes in a variety of events. The program instructors design tasks that will challenge, yet engage the students. The competition provides a wonderful opportunity for students to showcase their work for their parents and the community.


  29. Who is the President’s boss?

    The President reports to the District Board of Trustees.

  30. How can I invite the President to be a guest speaker?

    To schedule the President, please contact her office at 863.297.1098.

  31. When is Fallfest?

    Fallfest is held on a Saturday in October from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

  32. What is Fallfest?

    Fallfest is a one-day family event that includes hundreds of craft booths, music, food, children’s activities, and more.

    Fallfest is a fundraiser with proceeds from the craft booth fees going to the Polk State College Foundation. The Foundation financially supports Polk State College’s students and educational mission in many ways, including establishing scholarships and purchasing equipment.

    Many student organizations also participate and raise funds from the sale of food or other items.

  33. Where is Fallfest?

    Fallfest is held on the Winter Haven campus of Polk State College.

  34. How much is a Fallfest craft space?

    A craft space is $45. Polk State College does not provide tables and chairs.

  35. What can I sell at my Fallfest craft booth?

    Fallfest is open to anyone wishing to sell handmade or homemade crafts. We do not accept flea market-type merchandise. Food cannot be sold at your craft booth because Polk State College student organizations have the food concessions at Fallfest.  However, we do make available the Polk State College General Store, which is a special selection of homemade specialty foods.

    Our Fallfest Committee will review your craft application to see if you conform to our rules.

  36. How can I get a craft booth at Fallfest?

    Send an e-mail request to fallfest@polk.edu.

  37. What is there for children to do?

    One area of the campus is transformed into a Kids’ Zone complete with:

    • Pumpkin Patch
    • Hands-on activities
    • Face painting
    • Haunted House
  38. What kind of entertainment will I find at Fallfest?

    Polk State College’s talented musical groups will perform during the day on an outdoor stage. Many Fallfest visitors enjoy sitting under the oaks and listening to the free performances.

  39. How many people go to Fallfest?

    Over 10,000 of your neighbors typically attend this one-day family event.

  40. How much does Fallfest cost?

    Fallfest admission and parking are free.

  41. What else can you tell me about Fallfest?

    We can go on and on. If you need further details about this free, rain-or-shine event, click around the Fallfest website, or send an e-mail to fallfest@polk.edu.

  42. Where is Fallfest?

    Fallfest is held on the Winter Haven campus of Polk State College.

  43. How much is a Fallfest craft space?

    A craft space is $65. Polk State College does not provide tables and chairs.

  44. Are they any additional fees required, other than tuition and lab fees?

    The cost of textbooks is required for the class.  Some of the computer-specific courses have the curriculum online at no cost.

  45. What kind financial aid is available for the program?

    Students are encouraged to apply for financial aid through the Office of Financial Aid.  Scholarships are also available through the Polk State College Foundation.

  46. How long is the program?

    The program can be completed in 2 years if a student attends full-time and does not need any developmental math, reading or writing courses.

  47. What is the schedule for the program? Is it just during the day?

    The Network Systems Engineering Technology courses are scheduled both day and evenings.  The required general education electives are offered at all campuses and online at various times to accommodate differing schedules.

  48. Is it a full-time or part-time program?

    It can be either — whatever works best for the student.

  49. What is the campus location for the program?

    Computer-specific courses are offered on the Lakeland campus.  General education courses are offered at all campuses and online.

  50. Do I need to see an academic advisor before I begin the program?

    Students are encouraged to consult with an advisor, but it is not required.

  51. What is the Corporate College?

    Polk State Corporate College is the workforce training branch of the college that focuses on industry needs. We offer training to individuals, small businesses and corporations, ranging from personal development, state licensing, industry certifications, and online training.

  52. Where is the Corporate College located?

    The Corporate College is housed in the Advanced Technology Center at Clear Springs at 310 Technology Drive, Bartow FL 33830.
    Our Child Care Training Institute and Insurance Institute are currently located in the Airside Business Park at 3515 Aviation Drive, Lakeland FL 33811.
    Phone number:  863.669.2326

    Advanced Technology Center map

    Airside Center map

  53. How do I choose a major?

    • Take a Career Assessment.

    The first step in knowing what you want to do is knowing who you are. As a Polk State College student, you have access to several free career assessments through the Online Career Resource Center, Canvas course shell. Although this site is set up as a Canvas course shell, you don’t have to worry about doing any homework! Instead, you will find an array of information to help you develop skills and abilities sought after by employers. To join the Online Career Resource Center please click here. Once you have completed your assessment you can choose to meet with a Career Services staff member to review your results and receive guidance with your career selection. Please email careerservices@polk.edu  to set up an appointment.

    • Participate in a career development workshop. 

    Recommendation: Every semester the Career Services office organizes a series of events designed to help students develop many of the skills they need to become workforce ready. These offerings are accessible to students via Canvas by enrolling in the free Online Career Resource Center (OCRC) here, or by contacting the Career Services office at careerservices@polk.edu to learn more.

    • Set up a career advising appointment.

    Please contact us at careerservices@polk.edu to set up an appointment or call 863.297.1000 and ask to speak with a career advisor.

  54. How can I learn more about developing my resume?

    Our Resume page has lots of helpful tips for making your resume stronger.  You may also want to access the resume building tool found in College Central. We also offer resume workshops each semester, so check out the calendar! If you still need help, you can always make an appoinment with a career coordinator by emailing Jeannette Grullon (WH) or Pairris Jones (Lakeland).


  55. Does Polk State offer internships?

    Yes! Check out our internship program by clicking here.

  56. How do I determine the best career for me?

    There are several free career assessment tools that you can access through the ‘homework free’ Online Career Resource Center, Canvas course shell. To access these, please register for the course here and select the “Assess” choice. When taking any of the assessments, be sure to register first; this will ensure your results are saved giving you access to them at any time.

  57. How do I make an appointment with a Career Service Representative?

    Students are encouraged to email us at careerservices@polk.edu to set up an appointment. Students may also call 863.297.1000 and ask to speak with a Career Services advisor or simply visit the Information Desk on either the Lakeland or Winter Haven campus in the Student Services area, and ask to speak with a member of our staff.

  58. How do I find a job?

    The free Online Career Resource Center gives you access to the student job board, Handshake. Please select this choice and register on Handshake to access the many employment and/or internship opportunities available. This is an excellent resource that you can use while attending school and even after graduation, as an alum.

  59. Can I get a job on campus?

    Most on-campus employment is attained through the Federal Work-Study Program and managed through the Financial Aid Office. To learn more, please contact Financial Aid at: financialaid@polk.edu.

  60. How do I access my child’s high school grades?

    Click here for instructions. For additional questions, call the Collegiate High School Office at 863.669.2322, ext. 6292 for Ms. Richard, Instructional Technologist.

  61. Do I have to take exams at the campus listed on my schedule or can I take the exams online?

    Some professors require proctored exams at multiple-campus locations or one location, while others provide remote proctored options. Note: the remote proctored option will incur an additional cost of $10 per exam or $20 for all exams in one course.  This information is on the course syllabus and varies by instructor.

  62. Do I have to log in at a specific time for an online course?

    Be sure to log in the first day of classes and complete the required online activity (i.e. introduction, discussion, quiz, and/or dropbox assignment) to avoid being dropped for non-attendance. You may log in any time of the day or night that is convenient. Once you’ve logged in, read your syllabus carefully and thoroughly for important dates and deadlines. Not all courses are the same; class schedules will vary.

  63. Do I have to meet an attendance requirement for an online course?

    Yes, just as face-to-face classes require attendance, there are required online activities that verify your attendance. You are required to upload assignments, post discussions, or e-mail the professor by stated deadlines. The syllabus explains the requirements for each course. You must read the syllabus carefully and perform required tasks by the professor’s stated deadlines so you’re not dropped from the course for nonattendance.

  64. What is the BAS capstone course and how do I register?

    The capstone course for the BAS Supervision and Management degree is a course which assesses the level of knowledge and skills gained through the program. The student completes a professional project and applies information and skills studied in core and concentration program courses. Successful completion of the course requires demonstration of achievement of the program’s learning outcomes. The course is to be taken in the final semester and requires completion of all core and specialization courses.

    Registration for the course requires permission of the program director. To obtain permission, email bachelor@polk.edu. Provide student name, student ID and section reference number in your email. The program specialist or program director will register the student for the section requested if the student is eligible to take the course. A confirmation email will be sent to the student.

  65. Do you offer classes online?

    Yes!  Please view all of our offerings by visiting our Online Training page.

  66. How do I register?

    You can register for classes at polk.augusoft.net.

    • Login or create a profile for first-time users.
    • Next, click Browse on the left menu bar to browse through our available classes.
    • When you find a class or classes you want to take, add them to your shopping cart, when all classes are in the shopping cart you can complete your registration via our secure web site.
  67. What are your refund policies for classes?

    Refunds will be given for cancellations requested 7 or more days before first day of class.

    • Refund requests must be submitted via email to department staff.
    • Polk State reserves the right to cancel any class without prior notice. In such cases, an alternate class can be selected, or fees can be fully refunded.

    By accepting policies, I agree to the following statements:

    • I am financially responsible for all fees incurred.
    • Returned checks will be assessed a returned check fee and future check payments will not be accepted.
    • If any money is owed to the college and it is not paid, I may be referred to a collection agency. I will be responsible for reimbursing Polk State College the cost of collection incurred (up to 27% of the amount due). Additionally, the status of my account may be reported to a credit bureau.
  68. I have a question about my class. Who can I ask?

    The Contact Us page on this site includes contact information for each department. Please direct questions about specific classes to the appropriate department. If you are not sure who to ask, please email us at lumens@polk.edu and we will forward your question to the appropriate staff.

  69. Is Corporate College able to deliver programs at my company location?

    Yes, Polk State Corporate College offers on-site training options.

  70. Is it possible to obtain a transcript for non-credit courses?

    No, there are not official transcripts for non-credit training courses. You may be able to view your course history in your profile at polk.augusoft.net.

  71. Is it possible to obtain a 1098T for non-credit tuition?

    No, 1098T forms are not provided for non-credit training courses.

  72. Will Corporate College provide me with job placement assistance?

    Some programs, particularly grant-funded trainings, offer job referrals at the completion of their program. Polk State Corporate College does not offer job placement services, but often refers students to Career Source for job seekers.

  73. Is financial assistance available for non-credit programs?

    There is no FASFA or Pell Grant funding for non-credit training courses. There may be some funding opportunities available through Career Source Polk. Occasionally, there are grant-funded training opportunities available to students who qualify. Visit our Workforce Grants page to see updates about current opportunities.

  74. Can I earn a degree from Corporate College?

    The Corporate College does not offer degrees, but a couple of our programs can be articulated into credits towards some A.S. degrees at Polk State College once completed.

  75. What is the ISO9001 Certification and why is it important?

    The ISO 9001 international certification is a recognized standard for Quality Management Systems (QMS). Having earned this certification, stakeholders can be assured that Polk State Corporate College is consistent in our effective processes, effective people, and delivering effective training services. Polk State Corporate College has dedicated time and effort to make sure our training services are the best they can be, and continue to do so year after year. Earning this certification illustrates Polk State Corporate College’s dedication to continuous improvement.

Common Questions

  1. Why change the existing Digital Media / Multimedia program?

    Digital Media and Technology is a constantly changing field that requires regular updates to course offerings to reflect emerging academic and workforce needs. Our program in its current form promotes technical skills development by introducing students to specific software applications for image editing, web programming, video creation, and related skills.

    Every few years, we gather a panel of experts (advisory committee) to help us review and improve our digital media (DM) program. After evaluating our course offerings, members of the panel recommended that we expand our focus beyond technical skills development and instead implement a comprehensive focus that introduces students to universal principles of good design, creative ideas, interactivity, interface design, usability, web design, oral and written communication, visual storytelling, imaging, lighting, composition, target audience awareness, client needs, project management, troubleshooting, portfolio development, entrepreneurship and soft skills development. Technical skills development will remain a core strength of our program but will be supplemented by a comprehensive approach to digital media that offers solutions.

  2. What courses have been added to the program?

    We removed, renamed, and reorganized several courses to reflect current industry trends. Affected courses include:

  3. What is an aircraft dispatcher?

    An aircraft dispatcher is essentially a “non-flying pilot”. The dispatcher plans flights and routes, determines aircraft performance and loading, and gathers information regarding current and forecasted weather. They also update pilots with this information given enroute weather conditions, airspace restrictions, and airport and air traffic delays. Dispatchers also provide flight following for several flights at a time and work directly with flight crews in real-time to make flight plan changes and deal with emergency situations, should they occur.

  4. What are the differences between your credit and non-credit programs?

    By definition, credit programs allow students to earn college credit toward obtaining a degree. Non-credit programs lead to certification or continuing education, but do not culminate in earning a degree. Unlike credit programs, traditional financial aid cannot be used in non-credit programs.

  5. Can I obtain college credit for holding an FAA Aircraft Dispatcher Certificate?

    Students who hold an FAA Aircraft Dispatcher Certificate can articulate the training required for that certification toward college credit in the following Aerospace degree programs.

    Professional Pilot, Associate of Science
    Aerospace Administration, Associate of Science

    Specific credit articulation can be discussed with the Aerospace program staff.

  6. Where can I access the forms required for my completed application?

    To locate forms, please click below instead of using the search bar.


  7. How do I apply?

  8. Is there a list of suggested sites to contact for observation hours?

    The OTA Program does not offer a list of sites, clinics, hospitals, contracts etc. as staff changes and availability change frequently.

    We encourage applicants to look outside his/her county to locate observation opportunities.

  9. Is there a program pathway with suggestions on how to schedule courses?

    Please click here for your suggested pathway.




  10. What is the program curriculum?

    You can find the program curriculum here.

  11. Is this an online program? Can I work?

    This is a full-time program offered on a part-time basis with some web-assisted courses offering a blended model. Students are required to be on campus 2-3 times weekly. Full-time employment is not encouraged for optimal success in this program.

  12. How does Polk State College accept the Florida State Fire Certificates for credits towards the Fire Science Technology, A.S. degree?

    Polk State College will only accept the following fire certificates issued by Florida Bureau of Fire Standards and Training, https://www.myfloridacfo.com/Division/SFM/FCDICE/default.htm. These State Fire Certificates have passed the Pearson Vue exam, a third-party, testing center that is considered the “Gold Standard” for this process.

    Fire Officer I
    Fire Officer II
    Inspector I
    Inspector ll
    Investigator or Investigator l

    Minimum Standards (Certificate of Compliance) – an elective for 3 credits.

  13. Will my Minimum Standards (Certificate of Compliance) count for credits?

    Yes! “Certificate of Compliance” Firefighter II/Minimum Standards applies towards 3 credits in the elective category. This state certificate has to be the one issued by the Florida Bureau of Fire Standards and Training (BFST). It will NOT accept certificates issued by the technical schools or academies.

  14. Is there additional cost for the articulation of the fire certificates into credits?

    There is no additional cost to the student for Polk State College accepting or processing these credits into the Associate in Science in Fire Science Technology Program.

  15. Can the articulated fire credits apply towards a different AS degree at Polk State College?

    No. These fire credits can only be applied to the Associate in Science in Fire Science Technology degree.

  16. Can the Fire Science Technology AS degree be used towards a four-year degree?

    Yes! Once a student achieves the AS Associate in Science in Fire Science Technology degree, all 60 credits can be applied towards a higher degree, such as a bachelor’s degree in Public Administration.

  17. When looking at the curriculum (see current catalog information) for this degree, which chart (A or B) applies to me?

    The issued certificate date of the Fire Officer l is very important. It is what determines the particular Fire Science curriculum that it applies to! It will be either Charts A or B (see curriculum document). This also identifies the number of credits awarded.

  18. Will Polk State College accept individual, 45-hour fire courses for credits?

    No fire course(s) or fire course(s) transcript will be accepted! This is a hard-and-fast rule that applies to these fire courses.

    Fire science courses are only articulated into Polk State credits if the individual attains the Florida Bureau of Fire Standards and Training Certifications or a combination of these State Certifications as listed in the catalog (i.e., Fire Officer I (new version), Fire Officer I (old version), Fire Officer II, Fire Safety Inspector I, Fire Safety Inspector II, and Investigator (new version) or Investigator I (old version) and the elective of 3 credits for Minimum Standards – “Certificate of Compliance”). These State certifications are verified by Pearson Vue or a similarly approved third-party testing service; therefore, no individual fire courses are accepted by transcript.

    The student must bring the originally issued state certification (as listed above) to the Winter Haven Campus Administration Building (WAD). The certification is copied and placed into the student’s record, and the original certification is returned to the student. Articulation credit is provided at no cost to the student.

    Note: In 2022, the Florida Bureau of Fire Standards and Training discontinued the practice of automatically issuing a printed certificate; however, a student may specifically request a printed certificate. Polk State College verifies the fire certificate by accessing the student’s state fire records at the Fire College Department of Insurance Continuing Education (FCDICE), State of Florida Bureau of Fire Standards and Training. The student and FCDICE must coordinate to allow access to records. Information about these certifications is available at the Florida Bureau of Fire Standards and Training website (http://www.myfloridacfo.com/Division/SFM/BFST).

  19. Where do I bring these certificates?

    Bring the original certificate to Polk State College’s Registrar’s Office on the Winter Haven Campus in the Administration Building (WAD). If a student does not have the State Certificates, Polk State College can verify the fire certificate by accessing the student’s state fire records at the Fire College Department of Insurance Continuing Education (FCDICE), State of Florida Bureau of Fire Standards and Training. The student and FCDICE must coordinate to allow access to records. Information about these certifications is available at the Florida Bureau of Fire Standards and Training website (http://www.myfloridacfo.com/Division/SFM/BFST).

    Note: In 2022, the Florida Bureau of Fire Standards and Training discontinued the practice of automatically issuing a printed certificate; however, a student may specifically request a printed certificate.

  20. I am not a Florida State Certified Firefighter. How can I become one?

    If a student is not currently a Florida State Certified Firefighter and would like to become one, he or she must earn the State of Florida Firefighter I and II Certification (called “Certificate of Compliance” or Minimum Fire Standards). This basic training is provided in nearly 40 approved training centers throughout Florida. This is a comprehensive course that involves 400+/- of practical and academic work. This certification must be attained through a state certified fire academy such as the one at Ridge Technical College (Ridge Fire Academy), 7700 State Road 544, Winter Haven, FL 33881; Telephone: 863.419.3060.  Ridge Technical College is a separate program from the Polk State Fire Science Technology Program.

    To become employed as a full-time firefighter in Florida, an applicant must hold a State of Florida Firefighter I and II, “Certificate of Compliance” and a Paramedic or EMT (Emergency Medical Technician) certificate by the State of Florida. Most students take their EMT first. Also,  some fire academies require EMT to be a prerequisite prior to the training for Firefighter I and II.

    Also, they must be at least 18 years old, have a high school diploma or GED, and a valid Florida driver’s license. Some Fire Departments only require EMT instead of Paramedic certification. Also, a high level of physical fitness is required. This requires good leg, back, core, and grip strength, as well as above-average cardio/endurance. Each fire department and training academy has different levels of physical fitness requirements and physical testing. Most departments require a high level of dependability, teamwork, compassion towards others, discipline, and commitment. Fire departments operate under a quasi-military, chain-of-command organizational structure.

    Polk State College offers an excellent program for both EMT and paramedics.

  21. Do I need to be a Florida State Certified Firefighter to obtain a Fire Science Technology degree at Polk State College?

    It is strongly recommended (but not required) that students attain the State of Florida Firefighter I and II Certification prior to pursuing the Fire Officer Certifications that are part of the articulated credit requirements for the Polk State Associate in Science in Fire Science Technology. However, to obtain the Fire Officer I certification (part of most options in this degree), a student shall be a State of Florida Firefighter. There is one category (Table A, Option V, Fire Safety), that does not require someone to become a State of Florida Certified Firefighter.  This option is for students who do not hold the Firefighter I Certification. This is intended for risk managers, safety personnel, fire marshal personnel, insurance investigators, fire engineers, etc.

  22. I hold an out-of-state, national, or military fire certifications or courses. How can I use these towards the Fire Science Technology degree

    Firefighters who hold out-of-state, national, or military certifications or fire courses must contact the Florida Bureau of Fire Standards and Training (BFST) and ask for an equivalency review to determine what is needed to satisfy or convert these certifications to Florida Fiore Certifications.  For more information, students should contact the Bureau of Fire Standards and Training, 11655 NW Gainesville Rd, Ocala, FL 34482-1486; Telephone: 352.369.2800.

    If these courses are not currently available at Ridge Technical College, please check with the Florida Bureau of Fire Standards and Training (BFST). They are the State of Florida regulatory pro-board that oversees the training providers. BFST keeps a current list of Fire Science courses that are offered throughout the State of Florida. Often, there are private providers that offer these courses at reduced rates and fully online.

  23. Can I submit copies or email copies of my certificates for credits instead of originals?

    No copies or emailed copies are accepted!  Also, no mailed-in or handed-in copies (unless they are originals).

    The student must bring the originally issued state certification (as listed in the catalog) to the Winter Haven Campus Administration Building (WAD). The certification is copied and placed into the student’s record, and the original certification is returned to the student. Articulation fire credits are provided at no cost to the student.

    In 2022, the Florida Bureau of Fire Standards and Training discontinued the practice of automatically issuing a printed certificate; however, a student may specifically request a printed certificate. Polk State College verifies the fire certificate by accessing the student’s state fire records at the Fire College Department of Insurance Continuing Education (FCDICE), State of Florida Bureau of Fire Standards and Training. The student and FCDICE must coordinate to allow access to records. Information about these certifications is available at the Florida Bureau of Fire Standards and Training website (http://www.myfloridacfo.com/Division/SFM/BFST).

  24. I do not have the original (printed) fire certifications as described for the articulation of fire credits. How can I receive credits for these certifications?

    In 2022, the Florida Bureau of Fire Standards and Training discontinued the practice of automatically issuing a printed certificate; however, a student may specifically request a printed certificate.

    Polk State College will verify the fire certificate by accessing the student’s state fire records at the Fire College Department of Insurance Continuing Education (FCDICE), State of Florida Bureau of Fire Standards and Training. The student and FCDICE must coordinate to allow access to records. Information about these certifications is available at the Florida Bureau of Fire Standards and Training website (http://www.myfloridacfo.com/Division/SFM/BFST).

  25. Since Polk State College does not actually offer the required Fire Science classes, where can I take them? Online? Cost?

    Polk State College does not provide direct instruction for any fire courses. The student has the flexibility of finding the fire (FFP, ATPC, or BFST) courses that are best suited for them, this includes online or traditional classes, scheduling, cost, and location.

    Fire Science courses can be taken from a variety of sources including the local fire academy:
    Ridge Technical College
    7700 State Road 544
    Winter Haven, FL 33881
    Phone: 863.419.3060

    Information about these various Fire Science courses offered throughout the State of Florida is available at the Florida Bureau of Fire Standards and Training (BFST) website (http://www.myfloridacfo.com/Division/SFM/BFST). They also offer fire courses and dorms at their BFST training facility in Ocala, Florida.

    The general education requirements at Polk State College for this degree can be taken in a variety of methods, online, blended, or traditional classrooms, depending on availability.

  26. The Bureau of Fire Standards and Training (BFST) incorporates three fire course prefixes: FFP, BFST, and ATPC. The corresponding course title, curriculum, learning outcomes, and four-digit numbering of courses remained the same. Which of these three prefixes are accepted for credits at Polk State College towards the Fire Science Technology A.S. program?

    All three prefixes equally apply towards a corresponding State Fire Certification. Therefore, all three prefixes are accepted for articulation of credits at Polk State College through State Certification (i.e., Fire Officer I (new version), Fire Officer I (old version), Fire Officer II, Fire Safety Inspector I, Fire Safety Inspector II, and Investigator (new version) or Investigator I (old version)).

  27. What is the Civic Literacy Competency in civic literacy requirement? How does it apply to the Fire Science Technology, A.S. Degree (effective Fall 2022)?

    Yes! All students receiving an Associate in Science degree are required to comply with the following State of Florida requirements.  To see how you can comply with or satisfy this requirement, check with your academic advisor!

    Pursuant to Rule 6A-10.02413 of the Florida Administrative Code, effective Fall 2022 competency in civic literacy is a requirement for all students receiving an Associate in Science degree. Competency in civic literacy must be demonstrated in the following ways:

    Successful completion of one of the following courses:

    AND Florida Civic Literacy Examination (Score of 60% or better) Or completing one of the following assessments with the score indicated:

      • AP Government and Politics: United States (Score of 3 or better)
      • AP United States History (Score of 4 or better)
      • CLEP: American Government (Score of 50 or better)
      • Florida Civic Literacy Examination (Score of 60% or better)

    Note: All approved accelerated credit is listed in the Credit-By-Exam Equivalencies. The Credit-by-Exam section of the Florida State Articulation Committee website provides further details.

  28. Who do I contact if I need help?

    Please contact Fire Science Technology Coordinator Jim Davis for any questions or concerns. He will be glad to help you! Jedavis@polk.edu

    Thank you!

    For assistance or support:
    Jim Davis, M.A.
    Fire Science Coordinator, AS Degree Program
    Polk State College
    Cell:  863.781.2768

  29. What courses have been removed from the program?

    1. Design I
    2. COP 1000 Introduction to Programming
    3. COP 2823 Advanced Web Authoring
    4. CGS 1061 Intro. to Computers and I.S.
    5. GRA 1204C Comp Desktop Publishing
    6. VIC 2301C  Advanced Multimedia Presentations
    7. GRA 1206 Fundamentals of Typography
    8. MMC 1000 Communication and Mass Media
    9. CGS 2800C Web Architecture and Design
    10. MAR 2011 Principles of Marketing
    11. GRA 2156C Digital Design and Illustration (Revised)
  30. Can I get copies of institutional research reports?

    Hard copies and/or computer files of most reports can be furnished upon request. However, since most reports are available online in PDF format, we encourage you to use this feature.

  31. What are the training requirements to become a pilot?

    Each pilot certificate and rating has different training requirements, both in terms of minimum hours of experience you must obtain and in terms of tasks you must complete. For more information on the process of becoming a pilot, visit http://www.faa.gov/pilots/become/.

  32. What is the Office of Disability Services (ODS)?

    The Office of Disability Services (ODS) works with students who self-identify that they have a disability and who provide appropriate documentation supporting their claim. The ODS confirms the disability and determines appropriate accommodations for the student. The ODS also assists students and instructors in obtaining and providing reasonable accommodations.

  33. How many students do we have?

    If your request involves headcount, please be as specific as possible. Headcount figures can be annual or by term; college-wide or by campus; duplicated or unduplicated; credit, non-credit, or overall — we keep track of all of these. Also, please remember to specify if you want headcount, hours (student semester hours or credit hour equivalency), or FTE (full-time equivalency). Depending on why you need the data, knowing the headcount, by itself, may not answer your questions.

  34. Where can I obtain an FAA Medical Certificate?

    You can obtain an FAA Medical Certificate from designated Aviation Medical Examiners (AMEs). The complete listing of available AMEs can be found at http://www.faa.gov/pilots/amelocator.

    Bear in mind that all flight students must obtain an FAA medical certificate prior to beginning flight training at Polk State College.

  35. What types of disabilities do you serve?

    The ODS serves students with any disability that impacts a major life function. Some examples of common disabilities that Polk State College serves include, but are not limited to, the following: learning disabilities; attention deficit disorder; attention deficit hyperactivity disorder; autism or Asperger’s syndrome; hearing impairments; visual impairments; physical disabilities; diseases such as cerebral palsy, heart disease, cancer, or diabetes; and mental illness such as depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, or bipolar disorder. To speak with the Director of Disability and Counseling Services to learn more, contact 863.669.2309.

  36. How many FTE do we have?

    It depends on the formula you wish to use to calculate FTE (full-time equivalency). Basically, FTE is just a standardized unit of enrollment measurement that can use any of various factors — credit enrollment, non-credit enrollment, headcount, full-time vs. part-time students, etc.

    If you are filling out a survey for an outside agency, you may be given a formula to calculate our FTE that may be different from the formula used by the state. The FTE figure you calculate with the state’s formula may be much different than what we officially report, but this is okay because this method allows outside data users to evaluate institutions on a level playing field.

    Since fall 2004, the official formula for computing FTE in Florida’s College System, as used by the Division of Community Colleges, is (SSH/30) + (CHE/30), where SSH = Student Semester Hours (total credit hours) and CHE = Credit Hour Equivalents (contact hours / 30).

    The formula for non-credit clock-hours has not changed: 1 FTE = 900 Clock Hours.

  37. What kinds of airplanes and simulators do you use?

    The Polk State College Aerospace Program, through its flight training provider, operates various aircraft from single-engine, four-seat aircraft to complex multi-engine airplanes. Polk State Aerospace incorporates training in both state-of-the-art Garmin G1000 glass cockpit displays and with conventional “round gauge” instrumentation. We heavily utilize flight simulation technology because of its incredible teaching potential and low cost. Students will train in FAA-approved aviation training devices for loggable flight time, and they also have on-campus access to a host of simulation products that enhance their knowledge and skill and no additional cost to them.

  38. What is an accommodation?

    An accommodation is something students with a disability are legally entitled to receive based on documentation. It helps them to succeed in the academic setting.

  39. Why was the name of the program changed?

    The existing name was too long. We shortened the new name to Digital Media Technology. We think you will like it.

  40. How far back is data available?

    Some data elements have been tracked only for a couple of years, while others may be available for 10 years or more. Longitudinal data for the majority of key measures exists since the last administrative system conversion (beginning with academic year 1995/96). Contact IR for more information on data availability.

  41. Who provides flight training service for the program?

    Polk State Aerospace utilizes the partnership of a flight training provider. This provider offers structured training as part of the approved Polk State Aerospace training curriculum. All training is overseen by Polk State Aerospace staff, and staff regularly conduct observation flights with program students to ensure the highest level of flight proficiency and skill.

  42. When should I self-identify with the ODS?

    Students are encouraged to self-identify with the ODS as soon as they register at Polk State. Students may register with the ODS anytime during the semester; however, accommodations and services begin at the time the student is approved by the ODS.

  43. What software do you use in the new Digital Media Technology program?

    Currently, we use the latest version of Adobe Creative Cloud which includes the latest released versions of industry standard software such as Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere Pro and After Effects.

    We also use a variety of other software including Microsoft Office, Final Cut Pro, Motion, Compressor, Camtasia, Red Giant effects suites and several other high quality applications including open-source apps. Software used in a course depends on the instructor, course requirements, and other factors. Please contact the instructors if you need specific information.

  44. Are there any procedures to follow for conducting research studies at Polk State?

    Yes. However, we use a rather informal procedure for conducting studies at the College. Just provide a study overview including a brief justification via e-mail and get an OK from either your dean or the academic VP. If you forward the approved request to us, we can schedule a meeting to talk about the details.

  45. Can I get college credit for the pilot certificates/ratings I already hold?

    Yes. If you currently hold an FAA pilot certificate, you are eligible to receive appropriate college credit for Polk State College courses that correspond to the certificate(s)/rating(s) you hold. In order to be awarded that credit, you must participate in and successfully complete a Certificated Student Assessment (CSA) with the Program Director, Program Coordinator, or an authorized staff member.

    Note: This is a non-lab activity. The CSA must be completed outside of scheduled flight lab times, and a student cannot enroll in an advanced flight lab until the CSA is successfully completed. If it is determined that you do not meet the minimum pilot standards in place at Polk State College, you will be assigned to a flight instructor for remedial training until such time as you can complete the CSA. Because this is a non-lab activity, financial aid monies may not be applied for use, depending on the type of financial aid you receive.

    Students who successfully complete a CSA can expect the following credits for each pilot certificate or rating they currently hold with the FAA:

    • Private Pilot Certificate: 4 credits
    • Commercial Pilot Certificate: 4 credits
    • Instrument Rating: 4 credits
    • Flight Instructor Airplane: 4 credits
    • Instrument Flight Instructor: 1 credit
    • Multiengine Flight Instructor: 1 credit
    • Ground Instructor: 3 credits

    There are some exceptions to the requirement for completing a CSA. Incoming students with prior flight experience and pilot certification are encouraged to review the college’s policy on articulating credit for pilot certificates. There are separate policies for students who hold only an FAA Private Pilot Certificate and for students who hold advanced certificates and ratings above the Private Pilot level.

    Polk State Aerospace – Pilot Certificate Articulation

    Further questions on the CSA process can be addressed with the Program Director or Program Coordinator.

  46. What are examples of accommodations you provide?

    Typical accommodations include, but are not limited to, priority registration, faculty notification letters, note-taker services, readers, scribes, tutoring, alternate formats for printed materials, accessible classroom furniture, auxiliary aids and services, assistive-technology resources, extended testing time, distraction-reduced testing areas, course substitution, and TRiO support services.

  47. Do I need to complete AS degree core courses first before completing a DMT certificate?

    No . . . not at all. You are not required to take the Digital Media Technology core requirements prior to enrolling in one of our certificate options.

    Our certificate offerings were designed as stand-a-lone programs that allow a person who already has some training or a prior degree to gain additional skills in one of the concentrations we offer.

    For instance, a person with a bachelor’s degree who wish to edit video may enroll in our Digital Video Production certificate and complete the courses required. A few courses have prerequisites, and these must be completed first, but generally, a certificate program may be completed in one or two semesters if a student takes two or three courses each semester.

  48. What do I need to do to get data?

    In order to comply with SACS accreditation requirements and to fill your data request efficiently, it would be best if you send us an e-mail with your request following the same procedure described under 5.

  49. Can I transfer my college credit to and/or from Polk State College?

    Yes, Polk State College uses an established curriculum approved by the Department of Education for the State of Florida. You may transfer to Polk State College or transfer to another state college and take your accumulated credits with you. In some cases, placement tests or other evaluations may be necessary. Please consult the program director or an academic advisor for more information on credit transfers.

  50. What documentation do I need to receive services?

    In order to qualify for services, the ODS needs documentation from a qualified professional describing your disability, listing functional limitations, and giving recommended accommodations. Documentation should be current, within the past three years.

  51. Will the courses I take for a certificate transfer to the AS degree?

    Yes. Students who complete one of the three certificates in Digital Media may apply those credits to a Digital Media AS degree in Web Production, Graphic Design or Video Production. Additionally, students must complete the required general education courses, core requirements and any other course required for the AS program.

  52. Is there any charge to my department for using your services?

    Typically, no. The only time we would ask your department to pick up part of the tab for our services would be if the cost of materials is prohibitive. For example, if your request requires several thousand pre-printed scannable questionnaires, the cost to our office could be more than we can handle. (Our budget is very limited!) However, rest assured that IR does not charge for office time spent on College-related data requests and simple external requests — that’s why we’re here!

  53. Your courses do not look like other collegiate aviation courses. Why is that?

    The Polk State Aerospace approach to pilot training is completely different than any other collegiate aviation program you will encounter. Rather than focus on the traditional, maneuver-based flight training model, our program uses a human factors training methodology, similar to what you will find in place in commercial airline training. Every element of every class and flight lab is 100% practical education, whether lecture, group study, simulation practice, or actual flight training. We rely heavily on simulation to keep costs low while exposing our students to situations that you could never safely demonstrate in the airplane. Our program is different because it employs the latest flight training methods to engage students in learning while emphasizing technical proficiency and pilot safety.

    Similarly, when it comes to our other non-flight program offerings, Polk State Aerospace believes in a practical, “outside-the-box” approach to learning. While the classroom is a perfectly acceptable learning environment, we believe in learning that promotes a more hands-on approach. We accomplish this through outstanding guest speakers from many segments within the aerospace industry and multiple field trips to industry sites. We also encourage all of our students to engage in industry internships, as this is the most practical type of experience one can hope for, while enrolled in the collegiate program.

  54. I am an online student. How do I register for accommodations?

    Contact the Director of Disability and Counseling Services at 863.669.2309. The Director will then e-mail you a copy of the Disability Self-Disclosure form and tell you what documentation you will need to send in order to get approved for services. Once you have completed the Self-Disclosure form and provided the appropriate documentation, the Director will send you a welcome letter and contact your instructors to let them know of your approved accommodations.

  55. I don’t work for the College, but can I still make a data request?

    Sure! Whether you are a student, outside agency, or just an interested citizen, we will do as much as possible to get you the data you need. Understand, however, that our first priority is to fill internal data requests because such requests are generally made for the purpose of improving programs and services to our students. So please be patient with us, and allow us as much time as possible.

    Also, please understand that some of the information produced by IR can be of a sensitive nature. If we believe that your request is for highly sensitive information that may violate our students’ rights to privacy, such as grade distributions or identification of specific students, we may refer your question to the appropriate administrative office, which will determine if we can fill your request.

    If you are with an external media agency (television or radio station, newspaper, magazine, etc.), please call Polk State’s Public Relations Office at 863-297-1051.

  56. Why should I attend the Polk State College program instead of any other college program?

    Our program is modern, fresh, and engaging. Every element of every class and flight lab will engage your mind, teaching you skills and knowledge while, more importantly, teaching you a safety mindset that will shape everything you do in the cockpit and outside of it. Our low tuition cost, extensive faculty experience, simulation focus, availability of financial aid opportunities, and much, much more all make the Polk State College Aerospace Program a solid choice for efficient study of the aerospace environment and job placement within it.

  57. Is my documentation kept confidential?

    Yes. Students sign a release of information so the  Director of Disability and Counseling Services can share information with your instructors regarding your accommodations. Your disability is not disclosed unless you give the ODS written permission.

  58. How long will it take to fill my request?

    Many factors are involved here. Depending on the complexity of your request, the workload in the office, the difficulty in getting the information, and the urgency with which you need it, filling your request can be instantaneous or take up to several weeks. It’s always best if you can give us as much lead time as possible in order for us to prioritize tasks. We understand that this is not always possible, and that things often come up at the last minute, but it is always a good practice to file your requests early.

  59. How much will my flight training cost?

    Flight training is expensive. There is no way around that fact. We use a reliable, modern fleet of airplanes, state-of-the-art flight simulation equipment, and electronic training media that ease some of the cost burden. Minimum costs for each flight training course are published on the Professional Pilot – About the Program page. Because of the fluctuating cost of fuel and other factors, these prices are subject to change at any time.

    In addition to flight training costs, students will be required to pay for supplies, equipment, books, and course tuition. Some students will also have to gain additional flight experience outside of conventional pilot training in order to earn enough hours of experience to apply for the commercial pilot certificate.

    Consult the Financial Aid information page for available benefits for helping defray some or all of the costs associated with flight training and associated expenses.

  60. How is obtaining services different from high school to college?

    At the collegiate level, students are required to self-identify to the ODS and provide documentation of their disability. Any testing that needs to be done is not provided or paid for by the College.

  61. Will I have to attend special classes?

    No. You will attend the same classes as other Polk State students.

  62. Can my parents call to see how I am doing?

    In order for the ODS to give your parents any information regarding how you are doing at Polk State, you will need to sign a release form with their name(s) that gives the ODS permission to speak with them.

  63. Will my instructors be notified of my disability?

    No. All information is kept confidential unless you give the ODS written permission to release it. The accommodation letters that your instructors receive only state your name and the accommodations you are eligible to receive.

  64. What do I do if I need a reader or a scribe for a test?

    Tests with readers or scribes are taken in the TLCC. They will arrange for a reader or scribe to be present, but the request must be made at least one week prior to the test.

  65. Can I take the Aircraft Dispatcher Certification Program if I am not yet 23 years old?

    Yes, an individual may take the aircraft dispatcher course as well as the FAA knowledge and practical tests. Students must be at least 21 years of age. Upon successful completion of the FAA practical tests, they will receive a Letter of Aeronautical Competency. Once the applicant turns 23, they must schedule an appointment at the nearest FAA Flight Standards Office. They will present the FAA with their Letter of Aeronautical Competency and appropriate identification in order to receive their Temporary Airman Certificate.

  66. What do I do if I want to take a test in the TLCC?

    Please give the TLCC and your instructor at least one week’s notice that you will be taking an exam there. The TLCC will arrange for your instructor to submit the test to the TLCC. The TLCC will require your license or Florida ID, and you will not be able to use your cell phone during the test.

  67. If one of my accommodations is extended time, do I have to take my test in the TLCC?

    Yes. Extended time extensions can only be used in the TLCC and in certain online class settings. If you choose to take your test in the classroom, you will not be allowed to use extended time and you will not be allowed to re-take the test using extended time.

  68. How much extra time will I receive with extended time?

    Extended time is determined on a case by case basis depending on the documentation provided to the ODS.

  69. What do I do if I have registered with the ODS, but my instructors say they have not received my accommodation letter?

    Contact the Director of Disability and Counseling Services immediately.

  70. If I decide not to use my accommodations for a test and I fail, can I re-take it with my accommodations?

    No. The ODS recommends you always use your accommodations for all tests.

  71. If I register with the ODS in the middle of the semester, will my instructors let me re-take tests I did poorly on earlier in the semester?

    No. Accommodations go into effect on the date you are registered and approved by the ODS.

  72. Do I have to use my accommodations?

    We encourage students to always use your accommodations. However, it is ultimately the student’s choice to use them.

  73. Can a teacher decide that I cannot have my approved accommodations?

    No. Contact the Director of Disability and Counseling Services immediately if this occurs.

  74. I think I have a learning disability. Is there someone on campus who can test me?

    Polk State does not conduct testing for learning disabilities, nor does the school pay for outside testing. The Director of Disability and Counseling Services can give you information as to where you can go in the community to be tested.

  75. Will I receive the same accommodations as I did in high school?

    Not necessarily. When you meet with the Director of Disability and Counseling Services, you will discuss the accommodations you used in the past that helped you achieve success in the classroom. You and the Director will determine what accommodations will best suit your academic needs.

  76. What do I do if I am having a problem with an instructor who refuses to let me use my accommodations?

    Contact the Director of Disability and Counseling Services immediately.


  1. What type(s) of information do I need to include regarding litigation?

    In the “Disputes and Litigation” section of your submittal, include:

      • The parties to the lawsuit.
      • The basis of the lawsuit (ex: Breach of Contract, Alleged Surveying Error, Improper Design).
      • The monetary amount claimed/requested.
      • The monetary amount settled/paid.
      • Identify if it is a third party lawsuit.

      Include lawsuits such as:

        • Breach of Contract. Deficient services.
        • Oversight in design / design defects.
        • Defects or deficiencies (ex: You are a Surveyor, and there was a boundary dispute involving a survey you performed.)
        • Errors or omissions.
        • Economic loss due to late completion of your services / delays.
        • Personal injury/death due to negligence regarding your services.
        • Negligence (regarding your services).
        • Negligence in insuring reasonable care during performance of services.
        • Negligence in overseeing projects.
        • Negligence in overseeing maintenance of traffic, if it is specifically your contractual duty.
        • Traffic accidents due to negligence in your design.

        Exclude lawsuits such as:

        • Traffic accidents on or off the project site due to employee being involved in an accident (as the driver of an involved vehicle).
        • Liens/lawsuits filed due to non‐payment (by your client) / Attempts to collect outstanding account receivable.
        • Third party Lawsuits/Lawsuits where you were dismissed from the case because you were not directly involved in the problem.
        • Landlord/tenant lawsuits.
        • Cases where you were granted summary judgment and released from the lawsuit.
        • Improper termination of employment.
        • Negligence cases such as a slip‐and‐fall on your office premises.
      • I have previously submitted information regarding our credentials and capabilities to Polk State College. Will this information automatically be provided to the Evaluation Team (ETeam) by the Purchasing Department? Do I need to formally request that this be done?

        No. The ETeam will only receive your official “Submittal” during the evaluation process. No other information/data can be provided to them, including any information you provided outside of the procurement process. All information must be “in the book”.

      • How do I get added to the Bidder List?

        Please review the vendor registration information available here on the College website. Complete the Vendor Registration form and fax it to 863.297.1085. Be sure to reference the correct commodity code for the procurement of interest.

      • I have a question about the RFQ. Who should I call?

        All Proposers are instructed that all contact must be through the Director of Purchasing (and should be done via EMail or faxed to 863.297.1085). Contact with ANY other staff member or Board member is cause for rejection of your submittal.

      • Is it really necessary to provide my Social Security number?

        If you provide a Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN), you do not need to provide a Social Security number.

      • Do I need to include a Certificate of Insurance with my Submittal, or have my insurance agent mail one to Polk State?

        No. Only the awarded firm will need to provide a certificate of insurance.

      • When will the RFQ be released/distributed?

        Setting the schedule for the procurement is the last item to be done when preparing the RFQ document (this ensures that the schedule does not “slip” and has to be re-determined if deadlines are not met). When the RFQ document (specifications and terms & conditions) is finalized, the Director of Purchasing and the user department’s technical expert meet and set the schedule. Therefore, there is no “set schedule” until that time. When the RFQ document is completed:

        1. It is immediately posted on the College website.
        2. A “blast” email is sent to all vendors who are on the Bidder List. [Of course, only those who have provided Purchasing with a valid email address will receive the blast.]


      1. What is the role of a PTA and where is a PTA employed?

        The physical therapist assistant (PTA) is a member of the healthcare team who implements treatment programs under the direction and supervision of a licensed physical therapist. These treatment programs are concentrated in health promotion, the prevention and/or treatment of physical disabilities. Some duties of the PTA include reading the patient’s chart, transferring the patient, assisting the patient in exercise, gait training, ambulation, applying physical agents such as heat, cold, and electrical stimulation to specific muscles, instructing the patient and caregiver in functional activities, and observing and reporting changes in the patient’s condition to the physical therapist.

        PTAs work in settings where physical therapists are employed. These include hospitals, outpatient clinics, private practices, rehabilitation centers, nursing homes, school systems, and colleges and universities.

      2. Do I have to have a license to practice as a physical therapist assistant in Florida?

        Yes, successful completion of the PTA program at Polk State will allow you to be eligible to take the Florida State Board exam.

      3. When does the PTA program begin?

        The PTA program begins a new class every Fall semester in August.

      4. Where are the courses held?

        All PTA program classes are held at the Winter Haven campus in the WRH building, rooms 100 and 111.  General education courses are available in Winter Haven, Lakeland, as well as online/hybrid versions.

      5. What are the requirements for the PTA program?

        The requirements for entering the PTA program include the following:

        • Application to Polk State College as a degree-seeking student
        • Completed application to the PTA program
        • Completion of the following prerequisite courses with a grade of “C” or better:
          ENC 1101 – College Comp I
          BSC 2085C – Anatomy and Physiology I
          PSY 2012 – General Psychology
        • Completion of at least 10 hours of observation in any physical therapy setting (within 3 years)
        • Overall GPA of 2.5 or higher
      6. When is the application deadline?

        The PTA program application deadlines are as follows:

        a. For linkage students: April 16- April 30 each year (Linkage transmittal forms must be submitted by March 16 each year).

      7. Do I have to complete all the prerequisites before I apply to the program?

        No, the three (3) prerequisite courses may be completed during the summer term prior to starting the program’s PHT courses (beginning in the fall term). The students must pass all prerequisite courses with a grade C or better and upload transcripts after completion. However, the 10 observation hours must be completed before applying to the program.  Once the completed application has been submitted within the application window, the program’s Admissions Committee will oversee the selection admissions process to determine the students who would be invited for admission to the program for that academic year.


      8. Will I be able to work part time while in the program?

        Yes, depending on the student’s study habits and organization, part-time employment is possible except during the three full-time clinical affiliations (unless you work at night). Classes are held Monday through Thursday, mornings or afternoons. Program requirements are rigorous, and students must make a commitment to the program to ensure success.

      9. Can I take the other general education courses before beginning the PTA program?

        Yes, the general education courses maybe taken before beginning the PTA program. Completion of these courses before entering the program is recommended if possible as it may help to lighten your load once you are in the program. The general education courses that maybe taken before entering the program are:

        • MGF 1106 – Liberal Arts Math
        • PHI 2600 – Ethics
        • BSC 2086C – Anatomy and Physiology II
        • HSC 2554 – Principles of Human Disease
      10. Is financial aid available?

        Yes, the PTA program is allocated limited scholarship funds for students in need. The Financial Aid department at Polk State should be contacted for consultation for eligibility of the student for a variety of financial aid programs available to assist students who would be unable to attend college without aid.

      11. Will courses that I have taken at another college transfer to Polk State?

        That depends on the courses taken and the content of those courses. Courses that are transferred from other colleges are evaluated and accepted to determine credits via equivalency.  The PTA Program does not accept transfer of core PTA courses taken in another PTA Program.

      12. What is the cost of the Associate in Science in Nursing Program?

        The cost is approximately $14,000 including tuition, fees, and textbooks for all courses (including the pre-requisite courses) and other program-related expenses. Some of the program-related expenses within this approximate cost include fingerprinting, a background check, and drug testing done by a department-approved vendor ($200), as well as PPD testing for tuberculosis ($25), a CPR certification class ($40), and the physical exam with immunizations required on program admission ($400). The total cost depends on what is needed for each individual, the vendor or facility used, and whether or not the student has health insurance that might cover some of these fees. 

        Other costs include uniforms and uniform shoes, a stethoscope, a watch with a second hand ($300), and textbooks ($1500). Most texts are purchased in the first term of the program and used throughout the program; however, a few additional texts are required in later courses. 

        Upon graduation, the student must apply to take the National Council Licensure Examination—Registered Nurse (NCLEX-RN) and apply for a license to practice. The approximate cost for this process is $400; this is paid to the testing service and the Florida Board of Nursing. These post-graduation fees are not associated with Polk State College, and thus, are not covered by financial aid.

      13. Is financial aid available for the program?

        A student should refer to the Financial Aid information on the website or meet with a Financial Aid Advisor to determine eligibility for a Pell Grant, Stafford Loan, or other options. Once a student is admitted to the program, there are opportunities for nursing-related scholarships. Most financial aid assistance covers tuition and fees only; the student is still responsible for other costs such as the health requirements, uniforms, and licensing.

      14. What is the time investment required for the Associate in Science in Nursing Program?

        There are a number of pre-requisite courses required for admission. It takes a minimum of three terms to complete these courses, but most students take longer. Once admitted to the Nursing Program, the Generic Option is four semesters (Fall and Spring terms only; no summer terms) and the Transition Option is three semesters (August to August, including the summer term). 

      15. What is the typical schedule? Are classes available online, during the evenings, or on weekends? Are classes available on both campuses?

        Non-nursing courses (i.e., those without an NUR prefix) are available on both campuses with a variety of scheduling options and delivery formats. All Nursing Program classes are provided in a face-to-face format and are held during the daytime. Depending on the course, classes in the Generic Option are normally held two days a week from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, although there may be individual course variations. The actual class days differ with each course. Classes for NUR 1020C Foundations of Nursing Practice (Nursing 1) and NUR 2600C Nursing of the Family (Nursing 3) are offered on the Winter Haven Campus, and classes for NUR 1254 Nursing Care of the Adult Patient (Nursing 2) and NUR 2744C Advanced Comprehensive Nursing Care (Nursing 4) are held on the Lakeland Campus. In the Program’s Transition Option, classes are held one day a week with one section from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm on one day, and another section from 12:00 pm to 6:00 pm on another day. Both of these sections are taught on the Lakeland Campus. Schedules and class locations are subject to change as necessary.

        Each course, regardless of the program option selected, requires a clinical practicum day each week. Clinical rotations may follow a day schedule (usually 6:30 am to 3:00 pm) or afternoon-evening schedule (usually 1:00 pm to 9:30 pm). The exact days and times for each individual vary depending on the course and the assigned clinical facility. A student’s clinical assignment may be on any non-class day of the week, including weekends. There can be no guarantee of a particular clinical day or shift, and no guarantee of placement at a particular facility.

      16. Is the Associate in Science in Nursing Program full-time or part-time?

        In the first semester of the Generic Option, a student is enrolled in 12 credit hours; this is considered full-time college attendance. All other semesters in both the Generic Option and the Transition Option are less than 12 credit hours and are thus considered part-time attendance (i.e., unless the student is enrolled in other classes). The clinical component of each Nursing Program course requires three hours of contact per credit hour, resulting in an obligation of at least 17 hours per week within the classroom or through clinical obligations. These additional hours do not qualify a student for full-time enrollment for financial aid or other opportunities in which full-time enrollment is determined based on the number of credit hours within the semester. 

      17. How does a student apply for admission? How long is the waiting list?

        Application for the Associate in Science in Nursing Program requires a separate process than application to Polk State College. Details on admission requirements and the application process can be found on other pages of this website. Admission is competitive and uses a point system to rank applicants; this system takes into account factors including (but not limited to): the score on the Advanced Technology Institute Test of Essential Academic Skills (ATI TEAS), pre-requisite course completion and grades, GPA, previous degree attainment, and military service. A minimum score of 70 on the ATI TEAS and minimum overall GPA of 2.5 is required to be eligible for application; however, most students who are accepted into the program typically have TEAS scores above 75 and a GPA of at least 3.0. 

        The Nursing Program does not use a waiting list; an applicant who is not accepted for entry in one term must reapply during the next application window. 

      18. Will a criminal history or background prevent a student from being accepted into the Nursing Program?

        Hospitals normally do not accept a student for clinical experiences if the student has a felony record, regardless of adjudication, and this prevents admission to the program. Theft-related misdemeanor charges within the past five years may potentially prevent admission, but other charges normally do not present a problem. Any individual with a criminal history should make an appointment to meet with the Nursing Program Director for further information. To facilitate a decision regarding application, the student should bring copies of the court papers related to any charges, as well as the final disposition of these charges, to the meeting. Such an appointment can be made through the Nursing Program Administrative Assistant  (863.297.1039). 

      19. Will prior courses taken elsewhere transfer to Polk State College? Is there a time restriction on courses?

        Non-nursing courses taken at a regionally accredited college should transfer to Polk State College. The Registrar’s Office requires an official transcript to review for decisions regarding each specific course. The Nursing Department does not make decisions regarding transfer of credit.

        It does not matter when courses were taken, except for the program-required Science courses; these must have been completed within seven years of program admission. Only the Nursing Program Director can waive this restriction, and only in certain specific situations, based on the individual’s work or educational history since coursework completion. A student who has required Science coursework that was taken seven years or more prior to program enrollment should contact the Nursing Program Director. 

        The seven-year restriction does not apply to students eligible for the Program’s Transition Option, as it is presumed these individuals have been using knowledge from these courses during work in the healthcare field.


      1. When should I apply?

        You should apply optimally 8 or more weeks before you plan to attend, to ensure time for processing financial aid. Follow the steps in our Admission Steps.

      2. How do I register or enroll?

        You must complete an application to the college before you can register for classes. We are an open enrollment College which means if you submit the admission application and required transcripts there are no other criteria for admission to the College. Follow the steps in our Admission Steps for trouble-free enrollment.

        Open registration dates are always listed on the academic calendar. You may access the academic calendars.

      3. How do I meet with an advisor for the first time?

        Advisors are assigned to online students alphabetically. You should receive an email from your advisor within 72 hours (excluding weekends and holidays) from the day you submit your application. Advisors have virtual offices and can tell you how to access them. We also provide Chat with an Advisor online.

        Advisors cannot answer information specific to your student record unless you write to them from your Polk State College institutional email address.

        A-M – onlineadvisinga@polk.edu
        N-Z – onlineadvisingz@polk.edu

      4. Is there an online orientation?

        Yes – this mandatory orientation is available here. Also don’t forget to watch the Canvas student orientation as well.

      5. How do I meet with an advisor as I go through my program?

        The online advisors have virtual offices.  You can email your advisor at any time during our normal business hours to make an appointment.  Be sure to provide several meeting time options to the advisor when you request a meeting.  If you live locally and prefer to meet with an advisor in person; you do not need an appointment.  Advisors are available during our normal business hours from 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. Monday – Thursday and 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. on Fridays.

        You may also communicate with the advisor through email without making an appointment as long as you use your Polk State College institutional email address (@my.polk.edu).  Advisors cannot share your college information with you if you write from your personal email address.

        Online advisors can be reached at:

        A-M – onlineadvisinga@polk.edu
        N-Z – onlineadvisingz@polk.edu

        You may also use the tools in PASSPORT  under the Advising section to follow your education plan and view your degree audit to keep yourself on track.

      Financial Aid

      1. I am a veteran, are there details I need to know about financial aid for online programs/courses?

        Polk State College offers online courses and programs for Military Veterans and their dependents.  We provide the Veteran student with a comprehensive directory of online courses and accredited degree programs.  Online courses may pay differently depending on the VA Benefit or Chapter utilized at the time.  Please pay special attention to the online and hybrid course selections.  If you have additional questions please click here.

      2. Can I obtain financial aid to cover the cost of my flight training?

        Yes, you can apply federal grants, government/industry scholarships, federal student loans, or independent loans toward your flight training at Polk State College.

        Please be aware that the cost of flight training is very high and is not included in the cost of course tuition. Federal student loans and grants will only cover a portion of the total cost of flight training. Students are encouraged to meet with a member of program staff for assistance in planning the cost of attendance prior to enrolling in flight training courses.

        Contact our Financial Aid department for additional information on available financing options, and consult our program website for many flight training scholarship opportunities, as well as overall program cost.

      3. Can I use Veteran’s Administration (VA) benefits to pay for my flight training?

        Yes, you can apply VA benefits, especially Post-9/11 GI Bill funding, to your flight training at Polk State College. VA benefits will pay for tuition, books, supplies, and flight training costs. Contact our Financial Aid department for additional information on VA benefits and funding options.

      Disability Services

      1. How do I register for accommodations?

        Contact one of the Disability Services Advisors at 863.297.1000. The advisor will then e-mail you a copy of the Disability Self-Disclosure form and tell you what documentation you will need to send in order to get approved for services. Once you have completed the Self-Disclosure form and provided the appropriate documentation, your advisor will send you a welcome letter and contact your instructors to let them know of your approved accommodations.

      Getting Started

      1. How do I identify an online class in Polk State’s class schedule?

        Classes that are fully online have a red comment in the schedule that states “Pure Internet”. You can be assured that you will not be required to come to campus for any tests, labs, or classes.

        Classes that are mostly online but require testing at a Polk State College campus have a red comment in the schedule that states “Requires Testing on Polk State Campus”.

        Classes that are hybrid and generally meet nights or weekends once a week or every other week have a red comment that states “Web Component”. Be sure to pay close attention to the class meeting schedule before registering.

      2. What is the best way to search for online classes in Polk State’s class schedule?

        1. Go to the class schedule.
        2. Search for the course you want to take.
        3. Scroll down to “Alternative Instructional Method” and select “Pure Internet (PDB)”.
        4. Click “Search Now” and find the classes with the red schedule comment “Pure Internet”.

      3. What technology do I need to begin an online course?

        Student need access to a laptop/desktop computer and high speed internet access. Check out the necessary technical skills as well as the PAL student orientation.

      4. How do I start my online course?

        Watch the PAL Student Orientation and then login to PAL via the quick link on your left in PASSPORT. Also don’t forget to read the  guidelines for students in the online environment.

      5. Is there technical assistance for students in Online@PolkState?

        Yes. If you have trouble logging in to Canvas, accessing your course(s), or need additional assistance, visit this page.

        • Information Desk at 863.297.1000 (Extension 0) for information.
          • Hours: Monday-Friday 8am-5pm
        • Office 365 Helpdesk: 863-298-6839
        • Canvas Support: 844.880.9814
          • Hours: 24/7
        • Student Log-in Help – For all systems
      6. What is an Online@PolkState student?

        If you are taking a program fully online, you are an online@PolkState student.

      Cash Management Department

      1. Can I make a payment over the phone?

        We do not accept phone payments; payments can be made online or by mail to:

        Polk State College
        999 Ave H NE
        Winter Haven, FL 33881

      2. What are your hours?

        Lakeland Campus
        Hours Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.

        Winter Haven Campus
        Hours Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.

        We are closed on weekends.

      3. What types of payments are accepted?

        We accept checks, money orders, and credit/debit cards (including Visa, MC, Amex & Discover).

      4. Can I make a partial payment on tuition?

        No, however, we do offer a third party payment plan through NelNet.

      5. Can I pay with multiple cards/payment methods?

        No, you can only pay online using one card.

      6. When will I receive a refund for a dropped class or out of pocket payment?

        Refunds that are NOT financial aid-related are disbursed within 21 business days of the first day of class. Payments made via check are refunded through BankMobile and credit/debit card payments will go back to the card used for purchase.

      7. How do I set up a tuition payment plan (TPP)?

        Log into Passport, select “Pay Now,” select “Tuition Payment Plan.” You will be redirected to the NelNet website to complete your payment plan. NelNet phone: 800.609.8056

      8. Can I cancel/change my tuition payment plan (TPP)?

        Yes. Details regarding deadlines for increasing/decreasing the amount of your plan are available on the academic calendar.

      9. When will I receive a refund from NelNet?

        Refunds or overpayments to NelNet will be issued by Polk State College 60 days after the last day of the add and drop period for the main term session.

      10. When will I receive my 1098-T?

        Students who elect to receive an electronic Form 1098-T may access it via the MyPassport Portal any time after January 31. Otherwise, a paper copy will be sent via the U.S. Postal Service no later than January 31 to the mailing address provided under your student account.

        Log into MyPassport Account –

        1. Financial / Finances
        2. 1098-T
        3. Select correct year


      11. What if there is an error on my 1098-T, or I didn’t receive one?

        Contact the Office of Student Accounts at 863.297.1000 or studentaccounts@polk.edu.



      12. When will I get my Financial Aid refund?

        Disbursement dates are available on the academic calendar, or by contacting Financial Aid at 863.297.1004 or by email at financialaid@polk.edu.


      13. Questions regarding Financial Aid deadlines, awards or refund amounts?

        Contact Financial Aid at 863.297.1004

      14. How do I pay for tuition and what type of payments are accepted?

        We currently accept check/money order, credit/debit (includes Visa, MC, Amex & Discover).

        For checks and money orders, make payable to Polk State College and mail to:

        Polk State College
        999 Ave H NE
        Winter Haven, FL. 33881

        For credit/debit, payment is accepted through Passport.

      15. How can I submit my WIOA voucher?

        Email your voucher with all signatures, dates, and funding sources to whcashmgmt@polk.edu.

      16. Who do I contact if my account is in collections?

        Contact ConServe at 1.800.724.7500

      17. How can I submit payment for my flight account?

        Payments can be made via check, please make payable to Polk State College and mail to:

        Polk State College
        999 Ave H NE
        Winter Haven, FL 33881

        Please include your full name and student ID number.

      18. I receive a private loan what do I need to do?

        When we receive a private loan, the loan must first be cleared by Financial Aid. Once your check has been cleared a member of Financial Aid will contact you via email with instructions for endorsing the check.

      19. What is a Form 1098-T?

        Polk State College (PSC) is required to file a Form 1098-T Tuition Statement with the Internal Revenue Service for PSC students who made payments for qualified tuition and related expenses during the calendar year. The Form 1098-T is used to compute eligibility for education-related tax credits

        BOX 1 will include total payments made during the calendar year for Qualified Tuition & Related Expenses. Payment made for tuition will include most tuition-related charges on the student account except for the following Non-Qualified Expenses:

        • Obligations
        • Access Fees
        • Health Fees
        • Testing Fees
        • Book Purchases
        • Parking Fees

        BOX 5 will include the total amount of scholarships or grants received during the calendar year for the cost of attendance.  Scholarships and grants generally include all payments received from third parties (excluding family members and loan proceeds).

      20. Why did I not receive a Form 1098-T?

        There are several possibilities:

          • You did not enroll in courses at Polk State College during the January 1st through December 31st calendar year (2023)
          • You did not have any payments to report for Qualified Tuition and Related Expenses
          • Your paper copy of the Form 1098-T was mailed to the mailing address on record and returned by the Postal Service
          • Your qualified tuition and related expenses are entirely waived or paid entirely with scholarships
          • You took classes for which no academic credit is offered.



      21. Can I get a copy of Form 1098-T for prior years?

        Yes. All years in which you qualified for a form will be accessible online when you opt-in for E-delivery.

      22. How do I update my permanent and mailing address?

        Go to MyPassport and update online.

      23. How do I update my social security number?

          • Visit the Admissions Office
          • Complete a vital statistics form
          • Provide Social Security Card & Picture ID

        *** If out-of-state:


        Please visit https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1098et.pdf for details

        Contact the Business Office at studentaccounts@polk.edu  for additional questions

      24. Do I need to receive a Form 1098-T, Tuition Payments Statement, from my children’s colleges before I can file for the American Opportunity Credit and the Lifetime Learning Tax Credit?

        There is no requirement that you receive this form before you can claim these credits.


        1. Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education.
        2. Form 8863, Education Credits (American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning Credits).
      25. How is the amount of the American Opportunity or Lifetime Learning Credit determined?

        The amount of the credit is determined by the amount you pay for qualified tuition and related expenses paid for each eligible student and the amount of your modified adjusted gross income (AGI).


        1. Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Higher Education.
        2. Form 8863, Education Credits (American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning Credits).
      26. If tuition was paid by a government subsidized loan, can I still take the American Opportunity or Lifetime Learning Credit?

        If you pay higher education expenses with certain tax-free funds, such as a scholarship, you cannot claim a credit for those amounts. If you are required to pay the loan back that was used to pay the higher education expenses, then the expenditures would qualify. The credit is claimed in the year in which the expenses are paid, not in the year in which the loan is repaid.


        1. Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Higher Education.
        2. Form 8863, Education Credits (American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning Credits).
      27. I cannot use Form 8863 because I received a scholarship, what can I do?

        You must reduce the qualified expenses by the amount of any tax-free educational assistance. Do not reduce the qualified expenses by amounts paid with the student’s earnings, loans, gifts, inheritances, and personal savings. Also, do not reduce the qualified expenses by any scholarship reported as income on the student’s return or any scholarship which, by its terms, cannot be applied to qualified tuition and related expenses.


        1. Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Higher Education.
        2. Form 8863, Education Credits (American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning Credits).
      28. Am I able to claim the American Opportunity Credit for my non-credit classes?

        No, the American Opportunity Credit is only for credit courses.

      29. I paid for my spring semester classes in December. Can I claim the tax credit for this payment?

        Credit for qualified tuition can be claimed on the calendar or tax year the payment is made.


      Becoming a Mentor

      1. What is a mentor?

        Mentors answer mentees’ questions, help mentees learn their way around campus, offer encouragement, introduce mentees to College employees and other students, and generally help mentees feel more comfortable on campus.

      2. What are the benefits of becoming a mentor?

        • Mentors are rock stars at Polk State College! If you would like the admiration, respect, and appreciation of Polk State College faculty, staff, alumni, and students, become a mentor.
        • In addition to love and adoration, mentors receive $350 scholarships, leadership training, personalized M&M’s shirts, invitations to exclusive activities for mentors and mentees, and the knowledge that they are making a difference.
        • Mentors receive gifts from the College, campus bookstores, and more.
        • And did we mention you get free M&M’s EVERY MONTH?!!
      3. What are the responsibilities of a mentor?

        • Mentors need to be themselves, have a great semester, and share their knowledge and enthusiasm with their mentees.
        • Attend an 8-hour leadership training session over the summer
        • Attend M&Ms – Mentors & Mentee meet-and-greet event during the second week of school
        • Serve one hour at the Flight Leader table during First Week activities
        • Have one contact with mentees on a weekly basis. (Contacts can be made in person, or via text, email or social media.)
        • Help mentees become familiar with Polk State and get engaged in student-life activities
        • Help mentees locate academic support (TLCC, academic advisors, etc.)
        • Compete in fun activities for prizes and awards with mentees
        • Be a smiling face on campus to help ALL of new students feel at home
      4. How many mentees will I have?

        Mentors typically have between 3 and 5 mentees each academic year. Mentors meet their mentees in August and maintain contact until the spring term ends in May.

      5. What are the requirements to become a mentor?

        • Minimum 2.5 GPA and good academic standing
        • Mentors need to be comfortable meeting new people.
        • Mentors must have completed at least one semester at Polk State. It is also helpful if they are active in a group, club or program.
        • Mentors should be excited about the opportunity to play such an important role in the life of a new student and the chance to make some new friends.
      6. How do I become a mentor?

        Apply early! Applications are due by March 31. Interviews are held in April, and training is conducted over the summer.

      Becoming a Mentee

      1. What is a mentee?

        A mentee is a dedicated student who seeks to grow personally, develop professionally, and successfully reach his/her academic goals with the support of a peer mentor.

      2. What are the benefits of participating in the mentor program?

        Mentees gain personal guidance, support, and information from a seasoned peer. Peer mentors are students who have been at Polk State for at least one year and are succeeding academically, socially, and professionally. Mentors help their mentees learn the ropes of college and get on track to graduate.

      3. Who can apply to be a mentee?

        Any first-time college student starting in the Fall semester.

      4. What are the requirements?

        • Submit an application
        • Attend a meet-and-greet with your mentor in the second week of school
        • Attend the fall picnic with your mentor
        • Attend the spring awards ceremony with your mentor
        • Complete your education plan/Flight Map with your mentor
        • Meet regularly with your mentor during the academic year
        • Complete short evaluations at the end of each month and at the end of the term
      5. How do I apply?

        Students must apply to join the Mentor and Mentee Program. If you are interested in applying, please fill out an application and return it to the Academic Advising Office.

      6. Does it cost anything?

        Just your time and commitment to your own success.

      7. What if I have additional questions?

        Email Program Coordinator Cate Igo at cigo@polk.edu.

      8. Can I decide to participate later?

        We have a limited number of mentors each academic year. Mentees and mentors will be matched as applications are received. If your application is received after all mentors have been matched, you will be placed on a waiting list and notified of your status.