First Day Access Textbook Savings Program
Polk State College has partnered with Barnes and Noble as well as Cengage, Jones & Bartlett, Macmillan, McGraw Hill, Norton, Pearson, and Wiley to offer the First Day Access Textbook Savings Program. The First Day Access Textbook Savings Program allows students to opt-in to receive their textbooks through Canvas. With just a few clicks of the mouse, students gain instant access to their textbooks and save 20-50% or more off the national retail price.
What courses are participating in the program?
Nearly 500 course sections are participating in the First Day Access program for the fall 2020 semester. Click here to view a list of participating courses or check with your instructor, your course syllabus, or the Polk State College Bookstore website at polk.bncollege.com to find out if your course is participating.
What is the benefit of participating in the program?
There are a number of benefits to participating in the program, including deeply discounted prices on your textbooks, the guaranteed right materials, no access codes, deferred billing, and the ability to access your textbooks on or before the first day of class.
How do I opt-in to receive my textbooks?
You will opt-in to receive your textbooks and save money through Canvas.
- Access Canvas at polk.edu.
2. Access your course from the Dashboard. Access to courses in Canvas begins six days prior to the start of the course.
3. Click Course Materials on the left-hand side of the screen. (You may be asked to select your campus. Please select the campus associated with your course. If you select the wrong campus, you will be directed to another page. If this occurs, please repeat the process and select the other campus location.)
4. For courses using Yuzu e-books, click the checkbox next to “Opt-In” and click “Confirm.” You will receive a message confirming that you have opted in. You will also receive an automated confirmation e-mail, which will be sent to your my.polk.edu e-mail account. Your book will be accessible from the Course Materials page.
For courseware products such as MyLab, Mastering, Mindtap, Connect, Revel, LaunchPad, Wiley Plus, etc., click the checkbox next to “Opt-In” and click “Confirm.” You will receive a message confirming that you have opted in. You will also receive an automated confirmation e-mail, which will be sent to your my.polk.edu e-mail account. In order to complete the opt-in process, you must also access your courseware. To do this, return to the Modules page and follow the links and directions provided by your instructor.
Important: Once you click the checkbox next to “Opt-In” and “Confirm” you will be charged even if you choose to purchase your materials from another source. You may change your mind and opt-out by clicking the checkbox next to “Opt-Out” and clicking “Confirm” prior to the opt-in deadline.
What is the deadline to opt-in?
You must opt-in by the end of the drop with 100% refund period for your course. See below for specific dates and consult your course for more details.
Fall 2020 Deadlines:
- Session 1 (16-Week) Classes: Opt-In by 8/23/2020
- Fastrack 1 Classes: Opt-In by 8/23/2020
- 12-Week Classes: Opt-In by 9/20/2020
- Fastrack 2 Classes: Opt-In by 10/20/2020
How do I pay for my textbooks?
The price of your textbooks that you opt in to access through this program will be posted to your student account within 3-5 business days after the opt-in deadline. If you have financial aid in excess of your tuition, fees, and other Bookstore purchases, your charges should be covered. It is important to monitor your student account on Passport to ensure that financial aid covers your charges. You are responsible for all First Day charges posted to your account. If you do not have financial aid, you will need to pay online through Passport or visit the Cashier’s Office on either the Winter Haven or Lakeland Campus.
Why do I have access to my courseware even though I haven’t opted in?
In courses using courseware such as MyLab, Mastering, Mindtap, Connect, Revel, LaunchPad, Wiley Plus, etc., all students have access during the first week of the course. However, you must take action to retain access. The easiest and cheapest way to retain access is to opt-in following the directions above. If you choose not to opt-in or if you fail to opt-in prior to the deadline, you will be required to purchase access from the Bookstore at a higher price.
What happens if I change my mind?
Once you opt-in, you will be charged. If you change your mind, you may opt-out by returning to the Course Materials page in your Canvas course and clicking the checkbox next to “Opt-Out” and clicking “Confirm.” You must make this change prior to the opt-in deadline.
What happens if I drop the course?
If you drop the course before the posted drop with 100% refund deadline, you will not be charged. If you are dropped or withdrawn from the course after the drop with 100% refund deadline, you will still be charged and be responsible for any First Day charges posted to your student account.
Whom do I contact if I need technical support accessing my textbooks?
If you’re having trouble accessing your textbooks, there are multiple ways to get help. You may visit customercare.bncollege.com, you may call Barnes and Noble’s Customer Careline at 844-9-EBOOKS (1-844-932-6657), or you may visit the Bookstore on either the Lakeland or Winter Haven Campus.
Where can I find additional information?
- If your textbook is provided by Cengage, please click here. Please click here for Cengage e-books provided through Yuzu.
- If your textbook is provided by Macmillan, please click here for additional information.
- If your textbook is provided by McGraw Hill, please click here for additional information.
- If your textbook is provided by Pearson, please click here for MyLab or Mastering. Please click here for REVEL. Please click here for Pearson e-books provided through Yuzu.
- If your textbook is provided by Wiley, please click here for additional information.