Future Students

Transitioning to College & Self Identification

Unlike high school, students need to self-identify or disclose their disability to the ODS in order to receive accommodations and services. Students are responsible for obtaining and providing documentation that verifies their disability. 

Who is Eligible?

To be eligible for disability-related services, students must have a documented disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Under the ADA and Section 504, a person has a disability if he or she has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of the major life activities (walking, breathing, seeing, hearing, sitting, learning, speaking, or taking care of oneself). This definition includes, but is not limited to:

  • Persons with mobility impairments
  • Persons with learning disabilities
  • Persons who are deaf or hearing impaired
  • Persons who are blind or visually impaired
  • Persons with psychological disorders
  • Persons with one or many serious contagious and non-contagious diseases, including AIDS, epilepsy, cancer, and tuberculosis
  • Persons with Down syndrome

Please click here for the Documentation Guidelines.