1. Will prior courses taken elsewhere transfer to Polk State College? Is there a time restriction on courses?

    Non-nursing courses taken at a regionally accredited college should transfer to Polk State College. The Registrar’s Office requires an official transcript to review for decisions regarding each specific course. The Nursing Department does not make decisions regarding transfer of credit.

    It does not matter when courses were taken, except for the program-required Science courses; these must have been completed within seven years of program admission. Only the Nursing Program Director can waive this restriction, and only in certain specific situations, based on the individual’s work or educational history since coursework completion. A student who has required Science coursework that was taken seven years or more prior to program enrollment should contact the Nursing Program Director. 

    The seven-year restriction does not apply to students eligible for the Program’s Transition Option, as it is presumed these individuals have been using knowledge from these courses during work in the healthcare field.