NEW ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS AND APPLICATION PROCESS
Students who wish to be candidates for admission to the Physical Therapist Assistant Program must complete the following minimum admission requirements:
- Be admitted to Polk State College. Students who had never attended Polk State College must apply to be admitted to the College before applying to the PTA Program. Students should also ensure all transcripts and admission documentation is received and processed by the Registrar’s office before applying to the program. Please note: This process will take 3-6 weeks. Students should follow the admission steps to Polk State here.
- AS OF JULY 24, 2018: Cumulative GPA of 2.5 or above on a 4.0 scale is required at the time of application and admission to the program.
- Grade of “C” or better in all PTA Program prerequisite courses:
- ENC 1101 College Composition I
- BSC 2085C Anatomy and Physiology I
- PSY 2012 General Psychology
- Please note: prerequisites to a program and courses that can be taken prior to admission to a program can change; students not yet admitted may be required to take additional or alternate prerequisites prior to admission to the program.
- In addition, a grade of “C” or better is required for all general education courses needed to complete your degree. The general education courses required can be found on the Program Curriculum page.
- Students must complete any required college prep courses.
- Prospective students must have verification of at least 50 volunteer/observation hours in at least three different physical therapy locations with both inpatient and outpatient experiences (observation hours must not be more than three (3) years old at the time of application to the PTA program). Please see our Observation Hours page for more details and the required observation verification form.
- Please note: Some hospitals and facilities may require students to meet certain criteria before allowing them to observe in their facilities.
- Submit a completed application to the PTA Program. The PTA Program online application will be available during the following specified dates through a link on the program’s Online Application page.