Effective June 1, 2019
NEW ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS AND APPLICATION PROCESS
Students who wish to be candidates for admission to the Physical Therapist Assistant Program must complete the following minimum admission requirements:
- Be admitted to Polk State College. Students who had never attended Polk State College must apply to be admitted to the College before applying to the PTA Program.
- Transcripts and admission documentation must be processed by the Registrar’s office before applying to the program. Please note: This process will take 6-8 weeks. Students should follow the admission steps to Polk State here.
- GPA Requirement: Students must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or above on a 4.0 scale at the time of application and admission to the program.
- Required prerequisite courses: The following course must be completed with a grade of “C” or better within the last 5 years of applying to the program.
- Students must complete any required college prep courses.
- Prospective students must have verification of at least 50 volunteer/observation hours in at least three different physical therapy locations with both inpatient and outpatient experiences or verification of employment hours in the field (observation hours must not be more than three (3) years old at the time of application to the PTA program). Please see our Observation Hours page for more details and the required observation verification form.
- Please note: Some hospitals and facilities may require students to meet certain criteria before allowing them to observe in their facilities.
- Submit a completed application to the PTA Program. The PTA Program online application will be available during the following specified dates through a link on the program’s Online Application page.
- For linkage students: February 1-15 of each year Please note: Linkage transmittal forms must be submitted by January 15 of each year. Students should connect with their Student Succes advisor to ensure forms are completed and submitted. (please see the Online Application page for an additional deadline of January 15 of each year for Linkage transmittal forms to be submitted).
- For all other students: February 15 at 9:00 a.m. – March 15 of each year (please see the Online Application page for more details)