Admission to the BS in Early Childhood Education program requires:
- Completion of an online application here for acceptance as a degree-seeking student at Polk State College.
- Use the Admission Requirements and Steps to Applying | Polk State College, which has details, a comprehensive checklist, and a great FAQ section to help students complete all the admission requirements to the College.
- Online Bachelor of Science in Education Admission Packet. After completing the online application for the degree-seeking bachelor’s student (above), please complete the online admission packet for the BS in Early Childhood Education program found here.
- Associate of Arts degree or an Associate of Science degree in Early Childhood Education and Management, or the equivalent, from a regionally-accredited school or college with a minimum 2.5-grade point average(GPA) on a 4.0 scale.
- If the student’s associate’s degree is from a non-regionally accredited institution but is nationally accredited, the degree qualifies for admission, but a course-by-course evaluation is done according to Polk State College’s transfer practices and policies. More information can be found here.
- Completion of EDF1005 (Introduction to the Teaching Profession)with a grade of “C” or higher. (Please note: EDF1005 is the only required lower-division education course required to be taken by the state of Florida. However, other lower-division courses listed below are important for providing a strong base before moving into the bachelor’s level and are highly recommended.)
- EDF1005 – Introduction to the Teaching Profession – Required
- EDF2085 – Introduction to Diversity for Educators – Recommended, not required
- EME2040 – Introduction to Technology for Educators – Recommended, not required
- EDF1250 – Introduction to Classroom Management – Recommended, not required
- Passing score on the General Knowledge Test (GKT) of the Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE).
- Register at FTCE/FELE.
- When registering, please identify Polk State as the institution to receive a copy of your official scores. (We recommend you take the GKT 3 to 6 months ahead of your anticipated start in the program.)
- The four General Knowledge Test sections you need to take are: Essay Subtest, English Language Skills (ELS) Subtest, Reading Subtest, and Mathematics Subtest.
- Fingerprint-based background check. After you have been officially admitted to the program, you will need an appointment with Polk County Public Schools for a background check. Your program coordinator will guide you through these steps at the proper time.