Diagnostic Medical Sonography
Important Program Application Information:
Effective Beginning 2019-2020 Admission – Important Program Application Information:
The application window for admission is August 1–31. The Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program accepts ONLY online applications using the instructions link below. Paper applications are NOT available and will NOT be accepted. Applications will not be accepted until all six (6) prerequisite courses have been completed. If currently enrolled in Summer courses DO NOT submit the application until grades have been posted. The application will be received “as is” when submitted and a student who submits an incomplete application will not be considered for admission. Please review the application checklist before submitting your final application. If you have any questions about the application process, please contact the sonography program director.
Welcome to the diagnostic medical sonography program at Polk State College. Sonography (also known as ultrasound) is a specific imaging modality that utilizes specially designed equipment to direct high-frequency sound waves into areas of a patient’s body. Sonographers are the highly trained professionals responsible for operating the equipment that collects these images for interpretation and diagnosis by a physician.
The diagnostic medical sonography program is located at Polk State’s Airside Center in Lakeland. Classes and clinical assignments are scheduled Monday through Friday.
The diagnostic medical sonography program at Polk State College, upon recommendation of the Joint Review Committee on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography (JRC-DMS), is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP), 9255 113th Street N., #7709, Seminole, FL., 33775, 727.210.2350, caahep.org.
- Before you can apply you must have activated your Polk State College student email (my.polk.edu). Go to http://outlook.com/my.polk.edu. The default password is your Polk student ID.
- Using Chrome or some browser other than Internet Explorer, go to the “apply here” link on the sonography main web page. This link will take you to the login page for Etrieve, which is Polk State’s electronic document system.
- On the Etrieve login page, your user name is the first part of your Polk student email. For example, a Polk email of email@example.com would have a user name of marysmith22.
- Unless you recently established an Etrieve account and remember your password, click on the “forgot password” link and enter your my.polk.edu email address. An email will be sent to this address providing you an initial password. Check your junk email if you don’t receive the message and add firstname.lastname@example.org to your safe sender list if necessary.
- Once you have received the initial password, go back to the Etrieve login and sign-in with the user name as noted in Step 3 and the provided password. Once logged into Etrieve, change your password.
- In the Etrieve system, click on “Forms” and look for the sonography application.
- Complete all parts of the application, attach any required documentation requested, and submit the form. Do not submit any other documents.
- Do not contact the Registrar’s Office or the Sonography Department to see if your application was received. You can go back into the Etrieve system at any time and under History, you can see that you submitted the application. It will say “pending” until it is processed. When the application is processed, the pending will change to Approved. Please note that this “approved” is simply a notation that your application has been processed. It is neither a note of completeness and acceptance of your application nor a note of acceptance for admission.