Jobs and Careers
HOW MUCH CAN I MAKE?
Business intelligence analysts, computer programmers, software developers, and system analysts are four of the fastest-growing occupations are four of the fastest-growing occupations in Florida and nationwide. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average salary for a graduate with an associate degree in the computer field is $67,990 per year.
For Polk State students, jobs and internships are only a Handshake away with the College’s new virtual career center.
Handshake allows students and alumni to connect with hundreds of employers – from local businesses to Fortune 500 companies – by simply creating a profile. After answering a handful of questions about education and career goals, users can personalize their profiles to include their pictures, resumes, cover letters, and more to attract employers.
Signing up for Handshake is simple by visiting joinhandshake.com and entering a my.polk.edu email address. Handshake will send a confirmation link to the my.polk.edu email address to create a password.
- Go to joinhandshake.com
- Create an account
- Browse jobs that fit your skillset
- Select a few jobs that meet your requirements
- Prepare application documents
- Consult the program director for help with document submission
For more information, students and alumni may contact Career Services.
- Go to https://www.canva.com/
- Create a free account and create a username and unique password
- Search for “resume” and “cover letter” and browse the options available
- Pick a template and edit it to fit your needs or use the template as inspiration and create your resume and cover letter using Adobe InDesign or Microsoft PowerPoint
- Export the resume to PDF format
2. Follow accepted guidelines about preparing your resume
3. Personalize resume and cover letter to specific jobs
- Research the job offered and the company
- Visit their website; learn about them
- Create application documents that emphasize your skills and fit for the selected job
4. Review application documents
- Remove all spelling and grammar errors (use services like Grammarly)
- Avoid using photos on your resume/cover letter
- Do not start paragraphs with “I”
- Ensure margins are 0.5 inches or greater
- Ensure your name and contact information are easy to locate on the page
- Avoid “To whom it may concern” or “Sir/Madam” in your greeting
- Refer to the hiring manager(s) by name, if possible
- Do not use skill sliders (the ones where designers add a skill such as Photoshop, then add a line overlaid with a different color to indicate their proficiency level)
- Use design software such as Adobe InDesign. Microsoft PowerPoint can also work well. Avoid Microsoft Word or similar word-processing programs
- Don’t overdo or over-design your resume. Keep it clean, visually attractive, and simple
- Show a copy to the department staff for review and feedback
- Revise the resume and cover letter as recommended
Polk State College provides Career and Internship counseling.
Students and graduates have the unique opportunity to work in the field of study through Polk State’s professional internship program before graduation and after. The program is centered around community businesses that are seeking skilled analytic students to place in the information technology industry. Students will have the opportunity to work with businesses such as Publix, Southern Wine & Spirit, City of Lakeland, Polk State College, or startup companies like Data B.I.T.S., LLC which are among the organizations that have hired students and graduates of the program.
For more information on internships, visit Polk State’s Internship Program.
Business intelligence analysts, computer programmers, software developers, and system analysts are four of the fastest-growing occupations in Florida and nationwide. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average salary for a graduate with an associate degree in the computer field is $67,990 per year. The jobs listed below have potential annual salaries that vary depending on the job, continuing education, and experience level.
How much can you make?
- Computer Programmer – $82,240*
- Web Developer – $67,990*
- Computer Systems Analysts – $99,270*
- Database Administrators & Architects – $101,000*
- Software Developers & Quality Assurance Analysts – $109,020*
*Median annual wage