Guidelines for Student Petitions
- Petition forms are located in the advising offices on each campus. Students should meet with an advisor to complete the form. All required information must be completed on the petition form. A petition will not be processed if it is missing the course number(s), reference number(s), term, and student ID#. If you do not know where to locate this information, an advisor will assist you.
- Students who receive financial aid and/or scholarships will need to have the petition signed by a financial aid representative before it is submitted to an advisor. Petitions will not be accepted without this signature.
- Petitions are reviewed by the Petitions Committee based on when they are submitted to an advisor. Deadlines are generally set three weeks prior to the Petitions Committee meeting. Petitions received after the deadline will be reviewed at the next scheduled meeting. A list of submission deadlines can be obtained by an advisor.
- Students will be notified of the committee’s decision. Please allow two to three weeks after the committee meeting to receive this notification.
- If a student is granted a refund of tuition during the petition process, these funds are first applied to any remaining balance on the student’s account. Only after all debts are settled is the student entitled to personally receive the funds generated by a refund of tuition. Students should allow at least 45 days after notification of approval to receive these funds.
Examples of extenuating circumstances and required documentation that apply to student petitions:
- Serious illness or documented medical condition during the term of the course(s) being considered.
You must submit medical documentation from a physician or healthcare provider to confirm.
- Death of an immediate family member during the term of the course(s) being considered.
You must submit a copy of an obituary noting you as an immediate family member (or a death certificate) to confirm.
- Involuntary call to active military duty during the term of the course(s) being considered.
You must submit a copy of your orders involuntarily calling you to active duty to confirm.
- Documented change in condition of employment during the term of the course(s) being considered.
You must submit a letter from the employer on company letterhead documenting the change in employment status and/or hours worked.
- Natural disasters during the term of the course(s) being considered.
You must submit insurance documentation or other related documents of a serious impact from a natural disaster to confirm.
Other emergency circumstances or extraordinary situations during the term of the course(s) being considered.
You must submit documentation supporting your explanation to confirm.
NOTE: You should provide copies of any documentation. Documentation will not be returned to a student for another purpose after submission of the Student Petition.