Experiential Learning Credit Options

Adult Learners never stop learning, and a great deal of education occurs outside the traditional classroom.  Knowledge is gained from business ownership, career experiences, employer training programs, and leadership roles in community activities, professional organizations or the military.  These sources of learning are called “experiential learning.”

The traditional path to a college degree can seem long and challenging, especially for students who are balancing multiple priorities.  At Polk State College, it might not take you as long as you think.  Please contact your program director or the Internship & Experiential Learning Coordinator to find out how your experience can be applied to meeting your degree goals.

Credit by Transfer: College level work may be transferable to Polk State.  Application of these credits depends on your program of study and transfer policies at Polk. As all institutions where you earned credits to send an official transcript directly to Polk State College Admissions Office.

National Standardized Exams:  Earn college credits through Advanced Placement (AP) exams, College Level Examination Program (CLEP) tests, Excelsior College Exams, DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST), International Baccalaureate program (IB), and Cambridge International Examinations.

Institutional Credit-By-Examination:  Polk State College offers students the opportunity to earn credit through comprehensive examinations for certain courses that have been approved by the program.  For courses that qualify, please contact the program director for the degree you are seeking.  For more information, go to http://catalog.polk.edu/content.php?catoid=29&navoid=1604

Career Pathways: Students who attended a Polk County School Board (PCSB) Career Academy, may be eligible for an articulated credit.  Contact the PCSB WorkForce office for more information on this option, 863.519.8707 or WorkForceEducation@polk-fl.net.  For more information, go to www.polk.edu/pathways

Credit through Licensure or Certification: Credits can be earned for certain licenses or certifications.  This information is available from the program director of the degree you are seeking.  For more information and a complete listing of applicable licenses/certifications, go to the Articulations-Certification-Master-List

Military & Training Programs:  Credit can be earned for many training programs, including military and industry courses which have undergone a rigorous evaluation process to equate learning to college credit through the American Council on Education (ACE).

Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) Portfolio Program:  can help students with attaining college credit for learning achieved outside the traditional college classroom.  PLA can save time and money because you may not be required to take courses for the material you have already mastered.  Students can submit multiple portfolios highlighting their achievements and experience.  For more information, go to https://www.polk.edu/PLA

For more information go to www.polk.edu/adult-career-pathways