Criteria for the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. – Dream the Dream Scholarship
The deadline for the 2022 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Scholarship, is Tuesday, November 30, 2021, at 11:59 p.m. (EST).
- Must have a high school GPA of 3.5 (unweighted) or an overall college GPA of 3.0. A high school applicant must be a senior and have completed the Polk State College admissions process. A college applicant must have completed a minimum of 12 credit hours. Any Polk State College student with the required GPA and credit count can apply.
- Must be enrolled as a Polk State College student (full or part-time) to be eligible to use the funds awarded.
- Must use the funds awarded for courses, textbooks, or school-related supplies.
Application and Essay Requirements:
The applicant must complete the application and a typed, two-page, double-spaced essay. These items must be submitted electronically by the deadline. The essay should not exceed two pages and should be in 12-point, Times New Roman font, in Word format (i.e., doc. file). A high school applicant must submit an unofficial copy of the high school transcript with the unweighted GPA and all coursework included. A college applicant must include an unofficial copy of his or her Polk State transcript with all coursework and the GPA included.
- The applicant can access the application here.
- The student must submit the application, essay, and unofficial high school or college transcript (as appropriate) electronically to MLK@polk.edu.
- The subject line of the e-mail should read: 2022 MLK Application (name of student).
- The deadline for the 2022 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Scholarship, is Tuesday, November 30, 2021, at 11:59 p.m. (EST).
All essays are read and rated according to the following criteria:
- The student has answered all questions and followed the essay instructions.
- The student has demonstrated the ability to express thoughts fluidly and coherently in written language.
- The student has demonstrated his or her interest in the community.
- The student meets the minimum required GPA and related requirements (see above). The GPA is used to rank applicants in the event of a tie.
- Scholarship recipients are notified and asked to attend the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Virtual Celebration.
- An RSVP is required and must be sent to MLK@polk.edu.
Scholarships are awarded at the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Virtual Celebration on Monday, January 10, 2022, at 10:00 a.m. The Polk State College Foundation contacts the recipient to provide information about accessing funds for classes or books for the Spring 2022 Term (or later). The scholarship must be used within one year of its award date.