Criteria for the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. – Dream the Dream Scholarship
The application period for the 2019 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. – Dream the Dream Scholarship is from Wednesday, September 26, 2018, to Friday, November 9, 2018, by 11:59 p.m. (EST).
A. Must have a high school GPA of 3.5 (unweighted) or an overall college GPA of 3.0. A high school applicant must be a senior and have completed the Polk State College admissions process. A college applicant must have completed a minimum of 12 credit hours. Any Polk State College student with the required GPA and credit count can apply.
B. Must be enrolled as a Polk State College student (full or part-time) to be eligible to use the funds awarded.
C. Must use the funds awarded for courses, textbooks, or school-related supplies.
Application and Essay Requirements:
- The applicant must complete the application and a typed, two-page, double-spaced essay.
- These items must be submitted electronically by the deadline.
- The essay should not exceed two pages and should be in 12-point, Times New Roman font, in Word format (i.e., doc. file).
- A high school applicant must submit a copy of the high school transcript with the unweighted GPA and all coursework included.
- A college applicant must include a copy of his or her Polk State transcript with all coursework and the GPA included.
- The applicant can access the application here.
- The student must submit the application, essay, and high school or college transcript (as appropriate) electronically to MLK@polk.edu.
The subject line of the e-mail should read: 2019 MLK Application (name of student).
- The deadline for the 2019 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Scholarship, is Friday, November 9, 2018, at 11:59 p.m. (EST).
All essays are read and rated according to the following criteria:
- The student has answered all questions and followed the essay instructions.
- The student has demonstrated the ability to express thoughts fluidly and coherently in written language.
- The student has demonstrated his or her interest in the community.
- The student meets the minimum required GPA and related requirements (see above). The GPA is used to rank applicants in the event of a tie.
- Scholarship recipients are notified and asked to attend the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration Luncheon with family, friends, or guests.
- An RSVP with the total number of attendees is needed to prepare for this event.
- Recipients who are able to attend must arrive by 11:00 a.m.
Scholarships are awarded at the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration Luncheon on Wednesday, January 9, 2019, at 11:30 a.m. in WST 126, at the Polk State Winter Haven Student Center.
The Polk State College Foundation contacts recipients to provide information about accessing funds for classes or books for the Spring 2019 Term (or later).
The scholarship must be used within one year of its award date.