John L. Anderson, Jr. Memorial Scholarship
John L. Anderson, Jr. was an extremely influential choir director in Polk County for many years. His impact on the music department at Polk State College during his tenure grew the program and established a complete music transfer pathway. In his memory, this vocal performance scholarship has been established to support incoming freshmen in their desire to pursue music.
- Must be a Polk County High School senior or incoming freshman wishing to pursue a degree in music and attend Polk State College
- Must be a full-time student each semester (12 credit hours or more)
- Must commit to participate in at least one major vocal ensemble at the College each semester
- Acceptance to Polk State College
- Grade point average of 3.0 or higher
- Two letters of recommendation; one from a high school or church music director and one from an academic instructor or pastor
- Essay on the importance of music to the applicant, addressing their experiences and future with music
- Completion of an audition on Tuesday, April 18, 2023, performing 2 songs, preferably classical in nature. Sign up for an audition here:
- A short interview
Auditions will be held on:
Tuesday, April 18, 2023
(You must complete the scholarship application first and email it to Professor Don West, email@example.com, by Friday, April 14, 2023)
Sign-up for auditions here
VOCAL MUSIC AUDITION INFORMATION – Students should be prepared to perform two contrasting selections and a sight-reading. Questions? Contact Professor Don West at firstname.lastname@example.org.