TEAS Admission Test Requirements
Please Note: Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) proctored testing is now available for individuals applying for the Polk State Nursing Program for the Fall 2021 Semester.
Applicants can take the test online. A computer with a webcam and microphone is required, as well as a stable internet connection and private space.
Opportunities to take the test on the Winter Haven Campus will be available on select Wednesdays. Prospective test takers should monitor the registration page to schedule in-person testing. Availability will be posted approximately two weeks prior to in-person testing opportunities.
Additional TEAS testing sessions will be available at later dates for prospective students applying for later admission cycles.
The ATITEAS test (Test of Essential Academic Skills) is an admission requirement for the Nursing program, both the generic and transition tracks, including students who have a prior degree. The following is basic information you will need about the test:
- The TEAS test is a computerized exam covering reading, English and language, math, and science.
- The TEAS must be taken in a proctored environment at an educational institution which offers the test or via ATI remote-proctored testing. At Polk State College the exam is offered at the Winter Haven testing center at various times during each term.
- You may take the exam up to 3 times a year, with the initial attempt serving as the start of the year. There must be at least 30 days between attempts. Note: The attempt restrictions apply even if the test is taken at a location other than Polk State College.
- The test can take up to 4.5 hours to complete.
- At Polk State College, the current cost per in-person exam attempt is $85 and remote attempts are $90, non-refundable. Other institutions may charge a different testing fee. Check their policies if you choose to test elsewhere. If you test elsewhere, you must request for scores to be sent to Polk from ATI–see note below.
- Financial aid does not cover the cost of the exam.
- The minimum overall score needed to be considered for admission to the program is 70 on the composite score; however, a score of 70 may not be competitive for admission. Most students accepted for admission have a score of high-70s and above.
- Some testing centers give the tests in parts; however, there is no way for ATI to compute a composite score unless all parts of the test are taken at the same time. Therefore, for test scores to be acceptable to Polk State, the complete test must be taken. This includes initial testing as well as any repeat attempts.
TEST PREPARATION FOR THE TEAS
The TEAS Manual and online practice resources are available for purchase from ATI at www.atitesting.com. Self-paced, interactive, online tutorial assistance is also available for purchase at www.mometrix.com, and Polk State students can get a 50% discount by using the code POLK-50-OFF.
The study manual can also be purchased at the Polk State College bookstores. Students are encouraged to prepare for the test and not to just take the test blindly without preparation. In preparation be sure you are using materials which are for the current version of the test, which is titled ATITEAS, or may be listed as TEAS-6.
REGISTRATION PROCESS FOR THE TEAS
Go to www.atitesting.com and follow the steps below to create an account with ATI:
- Create an account (above picture, to the right of the Search box on the ATI website). Note: Do not select “Register for TEAS” or you will be instructed to choose a test site elsewhere.
- Complete all items in blue, including your Polk State College Student ID. It is essential that you use your Polk student ID for us to be able to post scores to your Polk record.
- Uncheck “Non-degree” box and enter expected graduation date calculated based on acceptance into the program for the semester for which you are applying.
- Make note of the User Name and Password that you created. You will need these items on test day.
To test at Polk State College, please click on this registration page link.
Click on the course code TST1001 for face-to-face and TST1003 for remote.
From the list of test dates and times, make your choice by clicking on the shopping cart icon at the far right-hand side of the screen.
To complete registration and pay for testing, click on the shopping cart icon at the top right-hand side of the page.
- Verify this is the test date and time you want and then click checkout.
- If you have not already done so you will need to create a login. After creating a login, log in to the site and click on the shopping cart at the top right-hand side of the page.
- Choose make payment.
- Complete the billing information for the credit/debit card you will be using to pay.
- Click next.
- Choose the type of card, fill in the card number, expiration date, and CVN.
- Review your order and then choose submit payment.
If there is a clock instead of a shopping cart it means that date is full, but you can add yourself to the waitlist by clicking on the clock.
You will be added to the waitlist. If and when a seat opens on that testing date/time, you will receive an email. You must register for that spot within 24 hours of receiving the email or that spot will be offered to another tester.
Any questions please call 863.292.3674 or email WHTLCCtesting@polk.edu
** If you believe that you would like to pursue your Nursing education at Polk State College, please follow these directions to create a Polk State account: https://www.polk.edu/admission-aid/admissionsteps/. Creating a Polk State student account will allow us to post your TEAS scores to your records at Polk State College. This will save you a fee in the future should you need to send TEAS transcripts to Polk State College. **
If you register for the test but decide not to take it when scheduled, you MUST email Debi Immel at firstname.lastname@example.org before the time of your scheduled test to avoid financial liability for the test.
If you take the test at a location other than Polk, your results will go to the school where you tested. You cannot print those results to turn in to Polk. Also, we cannot accept results posted to the transcript from another institution. You must contact ATI and request an official transcript of your scores to be sent to Polk State College. There is a fee to ATI for this service and they will send the scores electronically, most commonly on the same day that you request. They will send you an email of the results being sent and you need to save this email until you see that your scores have been posted to your Polk record. If you are requesting scores to be sent to Polk State, you must have applied to Polk in order to have a Polk record and student ID for the results to be posted to your record. If you requested the scores and you do not see them posted to your Polk record, contact the Nursing Department Director. We could have received the report but not have had sufficient identifying information to know whose results they were.
Effective August 31, 2016, the TEAS test changed to a new version called ATITEAS. All students who apply for admission beginning with the May 2017 application period will be required to have the new test.
In the event of a technical problem during testing, students will have the option of waiting to see if the technical issue can be resolved in a reasonable time period or if the test will need to be discontinued as determined by the test administrator. If a student continues with testing after resolution of the technical issue, the testing attempt counts as an attempt and the score earned will be posted. If the technical issue cannot be resolved and it is necessary to discontinue testing, the test attempt will not count and arrangements will be made to reschedule the student.