- Prospective students should Apply Online to Polk State College as credit seeking students.
- Provide all required admission documents such as high school or college transcripts to the Registrar’s Office.
- Complete Online Orientation.
- Provide proof of Florida residency in the form of a Florida driver’s license and voter ID or vehicle registration.
- Students should complete a financial aid application at FAFSA.gov to determine if they are eligible for financial aid. After completion of the application, students should meet with a Financial Aid representative to determine their eligibility and financial aid award.
- Students should contact the Program Director prior to enrolling in any of the courses in the program to plan their course pathway. Note: Registration in all HIM-prefixed courses requires approval of the Program Director. Please contact Susan Whatley, firstname.lastname@example.org, 863-669-2897, for additional information and to make a pre-registration appointment.
- HSC 1531, Medical Terminology and HIM 1453, Anatomy and Physiology for Health Information Management, are the first two classes in the program. Students may self-register for HSC 1531 but require approval to register for HIM 1453. Please contact the Program Director, Susan Whatley, for a pre-registration appointment. Please note: BSC 1084C, Basic Anatomy, is not part of the required courses for this program.
Students must have completed any required college preparatory courses, if required.
- Students entering college for the first time may be required to take the PERT placement test. The PERT is given daily on the Lakeland, Winter Haven, and Lake Wales campuses and there is no cost to take the exam. Students must place above REA 0002 and ENC 0010 course levels on the state-mandated college placement test in reading and writing (or complete these courses) prior to taking courses in the medical coding program. Students who have completed college-level English or an equivalent course may have met this requirement. See an Academic Advisor for additional information.
- The program is open admission. No formal application process is required; however, students are required to meet with the Program Director prior to enrolling in any medical coding program course. HIM-prefixed courses are restricted.
- There are no prerequisites required prior to entering the program; however, individual courses have prerequisites and/or co-requisites. For example, HIM 2724, ICD-10 Coding, has a prerequisite of HIM 1453, Anatomy and Physiology for HIM, and HSC 1531, Medical Terminology.
- Students should be aware that employment in the healthcare field usually involves national background screening as well as drug screening by the employing facility. Students who have specific conviction histories that might appear in a national background screening should be proactive in obtaining a background check prior to enrolling in the program. This should be discussed further with the Program Coordinator at the pre-enrollment consultation or Medical Coding Specialist Information Session.
- Additionally, facilities that students visit during HIM 2810L, Coding Application Practicum, may require any or all of the following: Completion of a comprehensive physical examination, completion of a drug screening, completion of a national background screening, completion of all required immunizations.
- Specific conviction histories or positive drug screenings occurring after a student begins the program are addressed according to department policy and may include dismissal from the program.
- All students who wish to pursue the Medical Coding Specialist program are required to contact Susan Whatley, email@example.com, 863.669.2897, to plan a course pathway prior to beginning the program. Please note: All HIM-prefixed courses are restricted enrollment and require permission of the Program Director before enrolling.