Polk State College is committed to celebrating the diverse cultures that make our community and our country so great. Each year, the College commemorates Hispanic Heritage Month, which is nationally recognized from September 15 to October 15. Festivities and events are held on campus, with the Hispanic Heritage Scholarship Fiesta serving as the culmination of the month’s activities. Additionally, the Hispanic Heritage Scholarship will be presented at the Fiesta on Oct. 18, 2017, 12:00 pm at the Polk State Lakeland – Student Center Dining Hall. The scholarship will be awarded to students who have an interest in serving the Hispanic community.
To support the Hispanic Heritage Scholarship Fund, please click here.
To apply for the Hispanic Heritage Scholarship, please see the information detailed below regarding the criteria and application process.
The application period for the 2017-18 Hispanic Heritage Scholarship application begins on Tuesday, August 15, 2017. The deadline to submit the application is Tuesday, September 26, 2017, by 11:55 pm.
Overall Criteria for the Hispanic Heritage Scholarship Application
Must have a GPA of 3.5 high school (unweighted) or 3.0 college level. If a high school student, must have completed Polk State College application process.
Must be a Polk State College student; full or part time student to use funds. Any Polk State College student may apply.
Funds may be used for courses or textbooks.
Complete application and a typed two-page, double-spaced essay in English or Spanish and submitted by the deadline. The essay should not exceed two-pages and should be a Times New Roman, size 12 font in Word format.
Applications and essay must be submitted electronically.
E-mail submissions to HHM@polk.edu, in the subject line of the e-mail, please include “2017 HHM Application (name of student).”
All essays will be read and rated according to the following:
- Answering ALL questions, and following instructions about essay
- Ability to express oneself well in standard, written languages – Spanish or English
- Demonstrate interest in the Hispanic community
- GPA will be used to rank applicants in the event of a tie.
- Meet GPA minimum of 3.5 – at high school student level (must have completed Polk State College application process) or 3.0 – at college level
- Scholarship recipient will be notified and asked to attend the Hispanic Heritage Scholarship Fiesta with family, friends, or guests, if possible.
- An RSVP will be needed to prepare for the event.
- Recipients able to attend need to arrive by 11:30 am
To access the Hispanic Heritage Scholarship application, click on this link: HHM Criteria and Scholarship Application 2017.
The application period opens on Tuesday, August 15, 2017. The deadline for the 2017-18 Hispanic Heritage Scholarship application is Tuesday, September 26, 2017, by 11:55 p.m.
Scholarship will be awarded at the Hispanic Heritage Scholarship Fiesta on Oct. 18, 2017, 12:00 pm at the Polk State Lakeland – Student Center Dining Hall. The Polk State College Foundation will be contacting recipients after the Fiesta to provide more information about accessing funds for classes or books for Spring Term 2018 or later.