Federal Pell Grant

A Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid. Federal Pell Grants usually are awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor’s or a professional degree. (In some cases, however, a student enrolled in a post baccalaureate teacher certification program might receive a Federal Pell Grant.)

How to apply

  1. You must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) available at fafsa.ed.gov.
  2. Please check Passport for application status. If your file has been selected for verification, you will be required to provide additional documentation. Please check for red flags under Application Status on Passport.

How much would I get?

Pell Grant amounts can change yearly. The maximum Federal Pell Grant award is $5,775 for the 2015–16 award year  (July 1, 2015 to June 30, 2015). The amount you get will be based on the following:

  • Your financial need
  • Your cost of attendance
  • Your status as a full-time or part-time student, and plans to attend school for a full academic year or less

You CAN NOT receive Federal Pell Grant funds from more than one school at a time.

General Eligibility Requirements

  • Must be a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen
  • Must demonstrate financial need
  • Must have a valid Social Security number (with the exception of students from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau)
  • Must be registered with Selecting Service online at sss.gov if you’re a male (you must register between the ages of 18 and 25)
  • Must be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student  in an eligible degree or certificate program
  • Must maintain satisfactory academic progress in college or career school
  • Must sign statements on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) stating that you are not in default on a federal student loan and do not owe money on a federal student grant
  • Must use federal student aid only for educational purposes
  • Must show you’re qualified to obtain a college or career school education by having a high school diploma or a recognized equivalent, such as a General Educational Development (GED) certificate, or completing a high school education in a homeschool setting approved under state law

Please keep in mind that the Office of Student Financial Services must receive confirmation of attendance from every one of your instructors before any payments can be processed.  Also, it is also very important to remember that Pell Grants are disbursed by sessions.  For more information, see a financial aid advisor.

*If you encounter problems viewing these videos, please update your browser.